Guide to Strength for New Runners

Options
emtjmac
emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
Hi! I've only been running for 8 months so I'm still a total novice myself but I just wanted to put together a post about strength training for new runners because I see a lot of people pick up the sport when they come to MFP and I want them to be able to learn from my mistakes. I spent 2 of those 8 months with bilateral foot injuries that I blame mostly on sloppy running form. Now don't get me wrong, I did my homework and all of my runs would start with great form but when I got fatigued, my form would degenerate into something resembling a convulsing orangutan. Couple that with the fact that I increased my mileage and volume by too much, too soon and you have a recipe for injury which is unfortunately the dish I was forced to eat... OK sorry for all the food analogies.

WHY am I telling you all this? Because I believe that if I had built a stronger core, I could have kept my form more easily while fatigued and I may have been less prone to injure myself. All I did was run; I incorporated no other form of exercise into my life and I thought that was OK. I was wrong.

Since adding a simple, relatively short strength and core fitness routine into my weekly schedule, I have notice a huge difference in my running. I no longer have the back pain I used to get after every run and I am much more capable of maintaining good form throughout my run, regardless of how fatigued I am.

Here is what I do for strength:

I do all of these twice a week, 2 sets of 12 repetitions and at about 50%-60% of the weight I would consider heavy.

Here is my routine:

Squats 2x12
Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows 2x12
Bench Press 2x12
Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts 2x12
Barbell Curls 2x12

I take no more than 30-60 seconds rest between sets.

You can do these exercises with or without a gym. Squats can be done with just your own body weight if you want and all of these exercises can be done with just a couple of dumbbells, at home, if you don't have access to a gym.

Additionally, twice a week after my shorter runs, I do squats and lunges with 15 pound dumbbells I have at home, 2x12. It takes almost no time to do and it's a nice cool down.

Currently, I am training for a marathon using Hal Higdon's 30 week long Novice Supreme program. It incorporates 2 days of "rest" per week but it is on those days that I work exclusively on my core. I consider this core exercise the MOST important part of my strength training as a runner.

The exercise I do takes less than 8 minutes in total and it really scorches my core. It's called the rotisserie and I found it at a website called Scooby's workshop. If you're curious what it is, here is the link to the video of Scooby demonstrating it. He seems like a really cool guy and I really enjoy his videos.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/07/01/rotisserie-functional-core-abs-workout/

It's really easy to do and it has made a MAJOR difference in my life as a runner. It has all but eliminated the back pain I used to get from running and it has allowed me to keep proper running form when I'm fatigued.

This isn't intended to be a comprehensive guide to running for beginner's and my knowledge is far from complete. There are some really experienced and talented runners on MFP and I'm sure many of them have better advice than I do but this is the best I can muster right now as regards strength training and why you should do it as a new runner. I hope it helps some of you or at least inspires you to create your own routine.

Remember, I'm not an expert! Don't forget to ask your physician before beginning any new exercise routines!

***BONUS***

Here are a couple of videos that have really helped me with developing good running form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibWjSEw-F4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

And a webpage about form!

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/perfect-form

Good luck!

Replies

• 20tulipgirl20
    Options
    Definietely taking the advice and the videos look helpful too! My form sucks!
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I need to check out these videos when I don't have sleeping toddler in my lap as I think my form has been slacking lately.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing this. I am nursing a minor niggle, and yep..weak gluteus is the reason why.

Time to ramp up and do some stregth work. whats a ' dumbell row'?
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and congrats on your renewed success!
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm a brand new runner, only started in January, so this is helpful for me. Thank you :smile:
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I could not agree with you more that running requires a strong core. Core is not just abs - its hip flexors to shoulders.

My 2 cents - if you run, do yoga. Do it. :)
  • thenewmanda
    thenewmanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump for later...
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info. I need to strengthen my core. Bumping for later!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. When you started to run how far, fast did you run and did you time it? I am trying to run and incorporate that into my weightlifting to lose more weight buuuuut I SUCK at it. I am talking fifteen minutes and I am passed out on the curb!!!!
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this xx
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Great advice!! I've also found this to be true. The stronger I get, the better my running gets. I owe a lot to push ups, planks and squats.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Cool routine, thanks for sharing! I'd add in some lunges personally - body weight or with dumbbells - as they really help stabilise knee joints.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    thank you for sharing this. I am nursing a minor niggle, and yep..weak gluteus is the reason why.

Time to ramp up and do some stregth work. whats a ' dumbell row'?

single dumbell row
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcpY20QaE8

Two - Dumbbell row
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bent-over-two-dumbbell-row
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I could not agree with you more that running requires a strong core. Core is not just abs - its hip flexors to shoulders.

My 2 cents - if you run, do yoga. Do it. :)

agreed!! =)
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Cool routine, thanks for sharing! I'd add in some lunges personally - body weight or with dumbbells - as they really help stabilise knee joints.

I agree, lunges are awesome! I do them twice a week after my short runs along with some bodyweight or light dumbbell weight squats as I mentioned.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    There is definite truth to this.

I started the C25K program back in November. I started out no problem, but then got a little too gung-ho and skipped a rest day, I ended up with injured knees and going to physio for 4 weeks before I could do it again. Part of my physio routine was to do gentle squats to build up the strength in my hamstrings.

I put running on the back burner because I was afraid of hurting my knees again. I went through Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. Near the end of that I thought I would try to run again. I was definitely stronger, but still didn't have the endurance to get passed 8 minutes of running. I completed Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30, and was able to make it to 10 consecutive minutes of running.

I never did go back to the C25K training program though. . .instead I dove in to the New Rules of Lifting for Women. After the 5 or 6 workouts of the first stage I started to incorporate a jog. I noticed that my stride was straighter, my breathing easier and my endurance had increased again. I even signed up for a Mud Hero race in July - 6KM plus 18 obstacles.

The one thing that scared me was that I had never been able to run more than 3KM at my longest run. I have time to build up to the 6KM though.

Last night I took my run outside for the first time ever. Yes there is still snow, and ice, and puddles around, but I needed that extra element to motivate me. I put on my HRM and off I set. I had no idea how far I had gone until I got home. I was really hoping for 4KM, because I felt proud of my time. I was out for 40 minutes and I had run a total distance of 6 KM! I would have pushed myself to go farther before making the trek back but I was worried about running out of daylight.

I truly believe that my success in running last night is because of my strength training.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    There is definite truth to this.

I started the C25K program back in November. I started out no problem, but then got a little too gung-ho and skipped a rest day, I ended up with injured knees and going to physio for 4 weeks before I could do it again. Part of my physio routine was to do gentle squats to build up the strength in my hamstrings.

I put running on the back burner because I was afraid of hurting my knees again. I went through Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. Near the end of that I thought I would try to run again. I was definitely stronger, but still didn't have the endurance to get passed 8 minutes of running. I completed Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30, and was able to make it to 10 consecutive minutes of running.

I never did go back to the C25K training program though. . .instead I dove in to the New Rules of Lifting for Women. After the 5 or 6 workouts of the first stage I started to incorporate a jog. I noticed that my stride was straighter, my breathing easier and my endurance had increased again. I even signed up for a Mud Hero race in July - 6KM plus 18 obstacles.

The one thing that scared me was that I had never been able to run more than 3KM at my longest run. I have time to build up to the 6KM though.

Last night I took my run outside for the first time ever. Yes there is still snow, and ice, and puddles around, but I needed that extra element to motivate me. I put on my HRM and off I set. I had no idea how far I had gone until I got home. I was really hoping for 4KM, because I felt proud of my time. I was out for 40 minutes and I had run a total distance of 6 KM! I would have pushed myself to go farther before making the trek back but I was worried about running out of daylight.

I truly believe that my success in running last night is because of my strength training.

I can absolutely relate to this! ESPECIALLY the part about feeling as though I was standing up straighter! During the two months that my feet were injured, I joined a gym and did a strength training routine 3 days per week very similar to the ones I talk about above but with heavier weight and less reps. When I finally started running again two weeks ago, I was amazed at how straight I was standing during my run and how much easier it was to keep a good running form. Having a strong core makes all the difference in the world for a runner.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
    I've been doing lots of core work and seen a lot of improvement but I don't think I've done nearly enough for my thighs and glutes.