Why can't bodybuilders always be cut?

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Essentially, they pig out (and cycle 'roids) and just build insane amounts of muscle. It takes calories to build muscle, so they pack on some fat as well.

When they cut, they enter into a phase that is, for all intents and purposes, an eating disorder... they trim their bodyfat as low as they can and still be alive. They also lose muscle during the cutting phase, but they try to minimize that. They really are not examples of fit athletes... (personally, I believe they're the equivalent of models, not athletes)

It's actually a very unhealthy existence.

Please let the record show that it's not only women who make broad, sweeping generalizations about other members of their sex for the purpose of putting down an entire subgroup of that sex.

Hey guy who I quoted ... how about don't be so judgmental of men who are achieving their health goals, mmkay?
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Can't build muscle without a calorie surplus
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Part of why we look the way we do on stage is simply dehydration. A bodybuilder might not put much on as far as fat, but even two days after when fully hydrated they will look different.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    First of all, the cycle repeats itself because the "cutting" process is extremely strict regarding the diet involved, therefore it is not something a person should continue on long term. Secondly, like someone else said, a bodybuilder wants to add more and more muscle mass, which means they have to eat A LOT to help build that muscle up and it is well known that you will gain fat while doing that, just like you will lose some muscle when you cut. It's just the way the human body works.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Jamie Lewis has some very interesting ideas on bulking and cutting. It clearly works for him.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    Essentially, they pig out (and cycle 'roids) and just build insane amounts of muscle. It takes calories to build muscle, so they pack on some fat as well.

When they cut, they enter into a phase that is, for all intents and purposes, an eating disorder... they trim their bodyfat as low as they can and still be alive. They also lose muscle during the cutting phase, but they try to minimize that. They really are not examples of fit athletes... (personally, I believe they're the equivalent of models, not athletes)

Hater.. there not athletes? hahah you are clueless dude.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options

does not sound healthy too me either.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm just rolled my eyes and shook my head as I read the original post....WTF????
  • Alrondon2
    Alrondon2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ,its to continuing improving in the gym and outside the gym. without a caloric surplus gaining strength will take ALOT longer and muscle gains will be extent .its always a personal decision , if you want to build LBM ( lean body mass)and have a better symmetrical body than you bulk for a long period of time while trying not to get too heavy. i wouldnt say its an eating disorder, that will vary by peoples mindset and methods they use. someone with the physique they feel they desired all along can maintain it and not have to bulk.
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options

Sees bait. Walks up to bait. Sniffs bait. Walks away! :o)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Is telling someone they're downright stupid against the rules? If so, I'm a rule breaker.

That being said, no, they don't trim their bodyfat as low as they can to be alive. Essential bodyfat for a male is 2-5% and for women is 10-13%. Bodybuilders generally cut down to 6-13% as a male and 14-20% as a female during competition times.

They eat at a surplus in order to build muscle because they constantly strive for improvements and then when they've reached their limit of how much bodyfat they want to have during a bulk, they start to cut it. The beauty of the process is that each time the cut is easier because muscle burns more calories than fat. The end result is a stronger, leaner, more physically fit person and without doing bulk and cut cycles, there is kind of a cap to what can be accomplished.

They aren't athletes?! Again, you're an idiot. These people, myself included, spend hours in the gym lifting and doing cardio and hours in the kitchen doing meal prep and monitoring their nutrition to a T and yet they aren't desciplined enough or talented enough to be called an athlete?
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DANCE PUPPETS DANCE!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAthe OP guy is playing you all!! :bigsmile:
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Wellllll no. Just no.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That being said, no, they don't trim their bodyfat as low as they can to be alive. Essential bodyfat for a male is 2-5% and for women is 10-13%. Bodybuilders generally cut down to 6-13% as a male and 14-20% as a female during competition times.
    I was thinking they could only be at their competition BF% for a short period of time. But if 2-5% is essential and you are saying they are generally at 6-13% during competition, then can the average joe be cut year-round?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    , then can the average joe be cut year-round?

yes.

The average joe isn't stepping on stage trying to win a bb contest twice per year, there is your difference.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    They can`t always be cut or ripped because it is a very expensive `hobby` and the mail service has strict rules now and it is difficult to send medication to some countries, especially USA. The payment is difficult also you can not just make it by Paypal, you can try Western Union but the fees are pretty high :laugh:
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I was thinking they could only be at their competition BF% for a short period of time. But if 2-5% is essential and you are saying they are generally at 6-13% during competition, then can the average joe be cut year-round?

Absolutely. As a male, 9-13% is stull "cut" and as a female, anything up to 20%, depending on the woman's build, is considered "cut".
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Because they want to build more muscle, and "bulking" is the easiest way to do so.

You don't automatically get all the muscle you desire in your first bulking session, it usually takes many bulk/cut cycles to get the desired look. In theory you could continuously bulk until you have lots of muscle, but you'd probably get very fat in the process (subsequently giving yourself a lot to strip away) and not many people want that.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    edit: decided my own post was BS.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

For starters, not everyone cuts to unhealthily low levels of bodyfat. Maybe if you want to compete, but even then it's for the short term so in an otherwise healthy individual would do no damage as you are back to normal afterwards. Not every bodybuilder wants to compete.

Secondly, comparing cutting (a calorie deficit) to an eating disorder is absurd. Anyone here wanting to lose weight is doing the exact same thing, the only difference is that they may not be lifting / have such a focus on muscle maintenance.