HELP!! High Heart Rate during exercise ok?

Options
I use an HRM (Polar FT7) when I exercise. It calculates my zones and all that for me. Recently, just this past week when I have been working out, my heart rate has been sky rocketing up to 191 BPM!! I know the whole 220 - your age to get your suggested Max HR. I am 28, so mine is 192. So, technically I am ok I guess, but that just seems so high to me?? Before this week, the highest it has ever gone is 186. What does this mean?

What is everyone else's BPM, especially those that are around my age? Is there anything you would recommend to get this down?

Replies

• bmcmur1
    bmcmur1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey there. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My HRM reads over 200 often, which is beyond my projected max. Obviously, do not sustain long periods of time pushing your heart to that level. Your body will tell you when you slow down, and as long as you listen to it, you'll be fine.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    As long as you dont have a heart condition or feel ill with it I wouldnt worry...if you feel faint, headache or anything then slow it down.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My HRM reads over 200 often, which is beyond my projected max. Obviously, do not sustain long periods of time pushing your heart to that level. Your body will tell you when you slow down, and as long as you listen to it, you'll be fine.

Thanks! So yours goes above 200?? What does that mean, lol. I also read an article somewhere that suggested cutting down the intensity of your workouts for a short period of time to get it to come down a little. But do you think this would really help in the long run or would you say don't worry about it and keep on pushing through high intensity workouts? (of course I will always push myself, but I don't want to kill myself either, lol)
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    That heart rate is fine. You will probably find that with continued exercise, it will lower itself as your heart muscle becomes more efficient
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 so my highest is supposed to be 191. When I first started working out hard, I would easily reach 186-190 during high intensity workouts like Zumba. Now the highest it has spiked lately is in the 170s. However, it was spiking the most when I was at my heaviest. The lower my weight goes the less my heart rate spikes.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - I routinely go above 190bpm when I run my intervals, but it rebounds fairly quickly in the slower intervals. I never feel light headed, or nauseous...if you do, that is a potential issue.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    It will slow down noworries
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    I'm 29 so my highest is supposed to be 191. When I first started working out hard, I would easily reach 186-190 during high intensity workouts like Zumba. Now the highest it has spiked lately is in the 170s. However, it was spiking the most when I was at my heaviest. The lower my weight goes the less my heart rate spikes.

I guess this is what worries me though, I have been working out pretty regularly for 8 months now, and its all of a sudden increasing? I started at 175 lbs, now I am at 160. Shouldn't it be decreasing as time goes on? I am a worrier by nature, so maybe I will just give it more time and it will be fine...
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I go over my supposed maximum all the time too. If you're really concerned about it, I'd check with your doctor.
  • karpana
    karpana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too use a Polar HRM (the RC300x), and for my age, the theoretical/suggested max is 186. However, during a few recent ice skating workouts, I've topped out at 195 and 197. Like

I don't recall who said it here in this series of replies, but as long as you don't feel sick, nauseated, dizzy, etc.... you should be okay.

like hkmurphy said, as you get into better shape, your body will get used to it and not top out as much, especially if using the same types of exercises. Just another reason to vary up the workout. ;-)

Cheers!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There is a huge variation in what is "normal" for various people and the 220 minus age is just a rough guide.
    Would only be concerned if this is abnormal for you or you feel distressed. Feeling under the weather perhaps?

Despite what some of the HIIT fanatics say there are different benefits from working in different zones - all depends on what your goals are. If you do decide to do heartzone training then a max heart rate test is the sensible place to start to accurately work out your zones.
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Like the others here, I've had periods above my suggested max as well. When doing intervals/sprint, I routinely hit 186-200 range at the end of the sprints. Even when I was in much better shape (rest heart rate of 50), I'd still hit the 186-200 range on sprints.

Are you doing interval type of workouts, or a consistent HR around 190?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Are you going all out during these workouts, or just moderate intensity? If you don't think you're working out all that hard and yet you're still hitting high HRs, go see your doctor. It doesn't sound right to me if it happens more often now than before.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    When I first started using mine my Max was around 186, however with more conditioning it did go down pretty steadily and still is. Just build up gradually, intensity/workload/distance, whatever you use it for and keep track of it every workout and sooner or kater you should see it come down as you become more conditioned
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I guess this is what worries me though, I have been working out pretty regularly for 8 months now, and its all of a sudden increasing? I started at 175 lbs, now I am at 160. Shouldn't it be decreasing as time goes on? I am a worrier by nature, so maybe I will just give it more time and it will be fine...

But if you are pushing yourself harder, and your muscles are stronger, you might be able to push yourself to your max more often. As others have stated the whole 220 minus age thing is kind of bunk. One (supposed) safe way to find your max would be to run about a 5k and then at the end go all out and whatever heart rate you see there is likely your max. Your muscles in that case should prevent you from pushing it too hard.

But it's also possible your max is a bit higher. And many runners will see their max during high intensity intervals. Better to go based off of perceived effort, breathing and how you feel. Or the old running standby "talk test". You should be going easy enough that you could still talk to someone if they were there with you. But not so easy that you could sing. If it's too difficult to talk, you are probably pushing yourself too hard and should slow down.

I'll bet as you keep working out and getting more fit your "average" heart rate over the workout is getting lower, but it's possible that with more efficient muscles you can still see the max during some intervals.
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    Like the othe
    rs here, I've had periods above my suggested max as well. When doing intervals/sprint, I routinely hit 186-200 range at the end of the sprints. Even when I was in much better shape (rest heart rate of 50), I'd still hit the 186-200 range on sprints.

Are you doing interval type of workouts, or a consistent HR around 190?

I do a variety of workouts. Just got done with one month of insanty about 3 weeks ago. Now I do turbokick, piloxing, running, weight lifting, etc. So I guess it would be interval stuff because my HR is not up there the whole time, I do average about 156 - 160. So, I guess its pretty normal. Thanks for all the comments! I think I was just freaking myself out, lol. Lots of good info here, thanks again!
  • cbwilliams2004
    cbwilliams2004 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    (British accent) Mine goes to eleven...
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    yeah mine always registers 'dangerously high' when I work out. Asked a PT and a doc both said that if it's high and I feel faint, stop, otherwise just call it normal for me.

Slight heart things can go along with several medical conditions - i have hypothyroid disorder and my heart has moments of beating fast anyway, so as long as I feel like it's okay, it probably is.

The machines apparently aren't THAT accurate sometimes anyway - HRM's are better but the gym equipment etc not so much.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My 4-5mile run pace has my heart rate at 176 or thereabouts, at the top of the "peak" range by most HRMs. Since I can sustain that for 45-60mins with no problems, I figure I'm just a special snow flake. It also drops back to the 120s within 5 mins of stopping, with most of the reduction coming in the first 2-3 minutes.

I have a nascent theory that low blood pressure correlates to higher heart rate than "standard" when exercising, but I have nowhere near enough data or science to be sure.
  • ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options

I have a nascent theory that low blood pressure correlates to higher heart rate than "standard" when exercising, but I have nowhere near enough data or science to be sure.
    Interesting! My blood pressure is extremely low, and my heart rate when exercising is often pretty high; I'd been wondering the same thing myself.