Waterproof/Water resistant HRM??

ChavezCurse
ChavezCurse Posts: 29
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Are there any waterproof HRM that I could use while swimming? Seems like many MFP users have HRM's...and I will probably start to shop around for one soon. The Polar brand seems like a popular choice, are any water resistant? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    GREAT question! I'm in the market for an HRM as well and I have a pool....
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    I'm pretty sure all of the Polar HRMs are waterproof. I'm sure you can easily find out for sure on their website.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    I've got a polar f6 and it's good for 50 m.... so swimming is no problem. I would hope they're all a little waterproof though cause you sure work up a sweat when wearing them!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    My polar FT60 can be used in the water as long as it is for low levels. The Garmin 310XT is meant for triathletes so it is more durable in the water. If you are using a pool, make sure to wash it really well when you are done. The chlorine in pools is corrosive and will destroy the electronics.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    I also have a Polar F6, which is water resistant but I don't think the chest strap can be worn it the water so it would be useless. Plus, the instructional booklet says not to push the buttons when under water. I would recommend looking for one that specifically states it is recommended for swimmers.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    polar and garmin both make waterproof HRMs
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Hi there!

If you're looking for an HRM that works while swimming, I haven't found one yet. I thought my current HRM would do that and was disappointed to read the fine print when I had trouble getting it to work in the pool. Most, however, are waterproof. Just check the specs before buying.

I use a Suunto T3 heart rate monitor. It's a few years old and I've replaced the belt/transmitter once. The watch/receiver and the belt/transmitter are waterproof, but the signal does not transmit in water, which means I can't track my heart rate while swimming.

I do triathlons and always wear my HRM during races (I get lazy and don't work at max effort without it). It has been through many ocean and a few lake and pool swims and it's just fine. I just need to take extra care with the gasket when I replace the battery.

Hope that helps.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I've got a polar f6 and it's good for 50 m.... so swimming is no problem. I would hope they're all a little waterproof though cause you sure work up a sweat when wearing them!

That is usually the difference between water resistant and water proof. There is a difference in the pressure it has to endure if you are under water or out running in the rain.

The water sport HRM are more expensive but they are out there.
  • Polar F6...You just can't press the buttons underwater...I've swam many times with mine : )
  • I also have a Polar F6, which is water resistant but I don't think the chest strap can be worn it the water so it would be useless. Plus, the instructional booklet says not to push the buttons when under water. I would recommend looking for one that specifically states it is recommended for swimmers.

I don't know why you think you can't wear the chest strap underwater???? I sweat like crazy when I workout and it's no problem...I wash it out in the shower...no problem...I have swam with it....No problem...True you can't press the buttons underwater but why would you need to. I just start it before getting in the water and I'm good to go....If I want a calorie count partway through I just stand up in the pool...give it a shake....then it's fine to press the buttons...They just can't be pressed when the watch is submerged in water : )
  • I lap swim on a regular basis and use the Polar F4. It's simple, user friendly and inexpensive. An HRM with a chest strap is best for accuracy in counting calories, average and maximum heart rate.
  • Thank you all! Really appreciate your input.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    I also have a Polar F6, which is water resistant but I don't think the chest strap can be worn it the water so it would be useless. Plus, the instructional booklet says not to push the buttons when under water. I would recommend looking for one that specifically states it is recommended for swimmers.

The chest strap is completely sealed with no accessible parts, it is completely waterproof. The watch is water resistant and as long as you're not pushing the buttons while it is submerged then there isn't a problem. It's just not made for things like scuba diving.
This discussion has been closed.