Low Calorie Days with High Fat??

Options
I have this horrible addiction to peanut butter, and I'm obsessive about keeping my calories down. I tend to have mini-binges of peanut butter each day, and then cut out meals/other snacks to make up for the calories. This results in getting more than my daily amount of fat and protein each day, but still maintaining a low calorie intake (900 at the moment) and not getting enough other nutrients. I know it's bad, but I'm recovering from EDNOS so I'm working on it. Does anybody know the health effects of a low-cal, high-fat diet?

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    The effects of just not eating enough are pretty obvious, that said I do not know about the effect of a low calorie-high fat diet. If you aren't getting a minimum amount protein (around 1g per lb of lean body mass) you will lose strength and muscle. Generally, if you are eating too much of one macronutrient then the calories from it will likely to be stored as fat (I think, someone more knowledgeable can correct me here).

900 calories a day is not enough for anyone.

If you are addicted to peanut butter, just stop buying it.

Read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have this horrible addiction to peanut butter, and I'm obsessive about keeping my calories down. I tend to have mini-binges of peanut butter each day, and then cut out meals/other snacks to make up for the calories. This results in getting more than my daily amount of fat and protein each day, but still maintaining a low calorie intake (900 at the moment) and not getting enough other nutrients. I know it's bad, but I'm recovering from EDNOS so I'm working on it. Does anybody know the health effects of a low-cal, high-fat diet?

Everyone has got a different take on whether you should have a low, medium or high intake of fat. For me, I find 40/30/30 works well (carbs/protein/fat).

This is a good starting point: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

But... not sure what EDNOS is but if it is, as I suspect, an eating disorder then I think you would do well to get advice from your doctor, rather than the forums, especially if you are only eating 900 calories a day, which is far too low. Getting support here is great (and please continue to do so - some lovely people on here) but for specific advice on exactly what to eat and in what ratios when you are recovering in this way you are best going to the professionals.

:flowerforyou:
  • FitnessLondon2013
    Options
    Everything in moderation is key. I.e. If you binge on peanut butter, lower your carbs. Keep it high fat, moderate protein (1 pound per lbm), moderate carbs.

something like this may suit you, if you have a tendency to binge on peanut butter. p/f/c - 35/35/25 or 40/30/30

Cals in v cals out - Moderation is key.

:wink: