is there such a thing as low calorie chicken salad?

Options
DebraLosesIt
DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
If so, do you have a recipe that youve tried and liked?

Replies

• kimberlycooper16
    Options
    I think if you mixed In Greek yogurt and a little bit of mayo, light mayo, that might help! :)
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i use a rotisserie chicken from the deli, discard the skin/really dark meat then shred with a fork and mix with a 50/50 mixture of low-fat mayonnaise and light miracle whip. i then add various things depending on what i have or am feeling like. it's usually a mixture of chopped celery or pickles, dried cranberries, garlic, black pepper, slivered almonds, dill, grape halves, cherry tomato halves.
  • CasiiD
    CasiiD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's not traditional, but I tried something I found on Pinterest: mix chopped rotisserie chicken with avocado, cilantro and lime juice. Love it! And you can play with it by adding peppers, tomatoes, spices, etc.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    another option for mixing is a wedge of light laughing cow cheese. Greek yogurt is good too, but i prefer the salty of the cheese as opposed to the tangy of the yogurt.
  • nation001
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uteInHaX5Tk

Try watching this youtube that should answer your question.

Good Luck.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use greek yogurt and texas pete instead of mayo. It's awesome :)
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't have proportions so you'll have to play around with that but a combination of non-fat greek yoghurt, dijon mustard and lemon juice is very tasty. Add whatever herbs appeal to you, such as, dill, thyme or chervil and round it out with some minced onion or shallot. If the sauce needs to be thinned out a bit add some 1% buttermilk.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast with lots of veggies (baby spinach, tomato, cucumber, carrot, capsicum, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas...). Add a little bit of healthy fat with some avocado, nuts, seeds or maybe some feta or parmesan. The dressing can be a killer but I like to add things like lemon/lime juice, fresh herbs, balsamic vinegar or marinate the chicken in Moroccan/Turkish spices and serve with a little greek yoghurt.

The possibilities are endless, just stay away from lots of oil or creamy dressings and cheese and you'll be okay. Warming up the chicken is a nice touch.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    my husband can't stand anything in the white-and-creamy texture family--so no yogurt, sour cream, mayo or any substitutes thereto.

I make my chicken salad one of three ways:
    * picnic style-- with mustard and chopped up pickles and onions (think mustard potato salad only with chicken)
    * tex mex-- with salsa and/or pico de gallo (fresh onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and a couple of shots of hot sauce)
    * asian slaw style-- with shredded cabbage and just a dab of peanut butter mixed with soy sauce
  • DebraLosesIt
    DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Y'all have given me lots of good ideas to play around with! i love chicken salad and egg salad and was curious for a treat now and then but couldn't think of what would replace the mayo!
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just plugged this into the recipe calculator:

375g (about 2 1/2 cups) diced boneless skinless chicken breasts
    170g (about 1 cup) finely chopped celery
    150g (about 1 cup) seedless red grapes, halved
    100g (about 1 small) minced onion
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup Lite Miracle Whip

It makes 5 servings and for 189 calories per serving I would call it low calorie. Good luck!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    rotissere chicken, shred with a fork
    plain Greek non fat yougart
    red seedless grapes chopped
    salt and pepper (optional)
    mix together in bowl and eat
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If you like mustard and a little kick, see if you can find Hellman's Dijonnaise. I love the stuff and often use it to replace mayo in recipes. I don't know how it would work with chicken salad but you sure have me thinking about trying it!

I honestly don't understand how they pack so much flavor into 5 calories. There are only a few ingredients that I can't pronounce.
  • maryann92201
    maryann92201 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I made this one. I'm actually having it today for lunch on an Ole Extreme Wellness tortilla with lettuce. It's yummy!!

http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2013/02/buffalo-chicken-salad/
  • ajbaccou
    ajbaccou Posts: 25
    Options
    I use greek yogurt and texas pete instead of mayo. It's awesome :)

that sounds yummy!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's not traditional, but I tried something I found on Pinterest: mix chopped rotisserie chicken with avocado, cilantro and lime juice. Love it! And you can play with it by adding peppers, tomatoes, spices, etc.

I did this the other day and it was delicious!!
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I got Trader Joes wine country chicken salad and its local. It was basically chicken, celery, craisins, and crushed nuts (i think walnuts).

You could buy it or approximate it. less than 200 cals for a big fat sandwich filling sized serving.
  • AllisonConnell1301
    Options
    I do rotisserie chicken with light miracle whip. Then I add in chopped celery, onion, pecans, walnuts, grape halves, and chopped apple.
    Mine turned out to be about 137 calories for1/2 cup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think if you mixed In Greek yogurt and a little bit of mayo, light mayo, that might help! :)

This. Greek yogurt, tiny bit of mayo, dijon mustard. Delicious!
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft fat free mayo and spicy brown mustard. About a three to one ratio. Add splenda to taste. This dressing is good for chicken salad or coleslaw or potato salad!