What drives me.

Options
A lot of people here will tell you that one of their biggest reasons for losing weight is because of the people they see everyday that make comments on how much weight they have gained and how much better off they would be if they went on a diet, started exercising, or both. This gives quite a lot of people motivation in starting their own routine and pushing themselves to attain their goal. Makes sense. My motivation is the opposite, however.

Allow me to explain.

I realize that I'm a large person, both in height and girth. People are always telling me that my height compensates for my weight, but I'm still unhappy with my appearance. It's this acceptance from others that drives me to want to get into better shape.

Plus, I had a guy tell me a few weeks ago that I should be proud of my large gut and let it roll over my pants freely, and not tuck it in like an old man. And he also mentioned that I have a nice and jiggly Ghetto booty. This was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back.

What about you, guys and girls? What drives you?

Replies

• cindygretz
    Options
    Losing weight wasn't even on my mind when I started my current job at 240. My emotional state was such a wreck with my only child leaving to become a Marine two weeks after he graduated high school that getting up to get to work every day was all I could do.

Then the weight started coming off just from me being active at work. One day I realized I'd already lost 60lbs without even trying. Then they announced a Biggest Loser contest at work.

DING!!

Time to get the rest off while EVERYONE else is doing it. It's so great to have 30 other people around you trying to lose weight at the same time haha!
  • Ragarianok
    Options
    That's great! Unfortunately, most of my co-workers are already in pretty good shape, so no need for them to try to lose weight with me.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

Plus, I had a guy tell me a few weeks ago that I should be proud of my large gut and let it roll over my pants freely, and not tuck it in like an old man. And he also mentioned that I have a nice and jiggly Ghetto booty. This was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back.

That's just the worst observation ever ~ ghetto booty!!! Who wouldn't start working out? How violated must you have felt, for a man to have categorised (fetish "feminising") your rump as he'd done?!

It's a good thing indeed that you're committed to shedding the unwanted (excess) pounds since, to MDK that label.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here will tell you that one of their biggest reasons for losing weight is because of the people they see everyday that make comments on how much weight they have gained and how much better off they would be if they went on a diet, started exercising, or both. This gives quite a lot of people motivation in starting their own routine and pushing themselves to attain their goal. Makes sense. My motivation is the opposite, however.

Allow me to explain.

I realize that I'm a large person, both in height and girth. People are always telling me that my height compensates for my weight, but I'm still unhappy with my appearance. It's this acceptance from others that drives me to want to get into better shape.

What about you, guys and girls? What drives you?

What drives me? Refusing to be a liability (unfit) when attacking the course(s) (outdoor excursions for charity) ~ so I hit my workout routine(s) for what its worth; For in a roundabout way, it depends on my snap-back to normalcy or I risk losing much of what and how I am, depreciating the quality of my life's fun factor possibilities.

... ~> Choosing to live, soar and dance ... the conscious rhythms and beats with a bounce (set-paced by my am run) maintained throughout my day, pretty much conducts my day.

"The zings" which are clearly working for me at the moment.
  • Ragarianok
    Options
    Oh yeah, it definitely gave me that extra push that I needed. I see you're doing very well for yourself! Good for you! :) Keep up the awesome work!
  • Amas77
    Amas77 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs 5 years ago. I got started because I was completely over being fat and out of shape. I had enough. I knew I was capable of a fuller, better and healthier life and I sought it out and eventually achieved. Of course I wanted to be there for my family but to be honest, I mostly wanted it for me, too. I wanted the self confidence, fulfillment, and comfort that came with the weight loss so I went after it.
  • brittneyyvette19
    brittneyyvette19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The most powerful reason and most motivating thing to me is knowing my worth and knowing I deserve better. If I get in the gym and start working out and want to give up, I just tell myself, Brittney, YOU DESERVE BETTER. You have too much self-love to keep CHOOSING the easy and unloving way to treat yourself. Thats what drives me.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I wanted to pick my outfits for the day. I DIDN'T want "what can I squeeze into" or "which shirt will hide my muffin top" to be factors in my wardrobe choices.

Also, my work also started a Biggest Loser competition and I've been handily beating everyone (even the men) since it started. I'm extremely competitive.

The more I learn, the more that I realize I was always meant to eat like this and exercise like this. I'm finally living the life I was MEANT to live. I explained it to my mom last night and I don't think she got it, but I believe that's the biggest drive for me. I love feeling healthy and in control of my life.
  • sarled26
    sarled26 Posts: 7
    Options
    my sister in law made a comment on how big I was after I had my baby when she was all skinny mini, yet 1 year later she had her 1st baby and is now 200 plus lbs. The next time I see her I am gonna be skinny mini

That drives me!!!