Need help with nutrition!

Options
Hello! Well, to start off I am new at this obviously. I don't have that much to lose, only 10-12 lbs but I really want to start eating right I am having trouble figuring it all out. At this point I don't work out a ton but i do stationary bike everyday for a half hour and will be starting to do some lifting soon. I'm not sure what though yet so if you have any advice for that it would be great as well. I can't seem to get enough calories in a day only because I am scared to go way over. I seem to eat way too much protein while trying to keep everything else under. I also tend to go way over on sugar also. Mostly because I eat a lot of fruit. Any help would be fantastic as clearly i am not really sure what i am doing and want to do it the healthy way. i know I need to eat more veggies instead of fruit but beans and mushrooms do not work for me. So anything else that can take their place is great. Thank you!

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Keep your veggies to the leafy green variety and eat as much as you want. How much protein are you actually eating? You'd be surprised how much lean protein you can consume and keep your calories in check. As far as lifting goes, read "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" or "Starting Strength".
  • MamaC77
    MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I just go by what mfp tells me when I track it. I always am over on protein. By dinner time I am already over. I will get those books. I guess I am just afraid that if I am over and I don't work out enough it will just make me gain weight. I feel like nothing else fills me up though. I will get the hang of it. Thanks again!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about eating too much protein. It's better than eating too many carbs/fats. I prefer to go over protein than anything else but then I am doing Primal.
    You are not far away from maintenance so I would suggest less cardio and more strength training.
    Or Interval training?
  • MamaC77
    MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great thank you so much. I appreciate your help!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about going over on the protein. It can help with the strength training as long as you don't go way over and start hurting the kidneys. (we are talking like 100+ grams over)... Personally, I try to eat balanced. If I cheat anything I cheat the carbs and I push the protein somewhat for my strength training. Other than that... lots of veggies (when I can) and I do eat meat. Whole foods rather than processed is better but there are times when I have to eat processed and I don't sweat it. Try not to sweat the small stuff.. Don't do anything to the extreme and minimize sweets (candy, cakes, etc.) and you will do your body good. Best wishes on your journey.. Hey also, on the last 10-15 lbs, slower is usually better... focus on about a pound a week... really you will be happier I think with the outcome, especially if you are incorporating strength training.