So much sugar in fruits

do you worry about the sugar in fruit . It puts me over almost everyday. I can't believe how much is in eggplant that blows me away. I am -32 today just from natural foods (strawberries ,blueberries, banana, grapes, eggplant well and a dannon vanilla yougut) does this mean I need to cut out the fruits

Replies

• MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Natural sugars, not the same thing really. As long as you are not eating LOADS of fruit every day.

I aim for no more than 2 portions a day. I disregard the sugar column as MFP is not clever enough to split those sugars down into natural and artificial.

So long as you are not eating loads of processed foods, I would ignore it.

I ALWAYS go over my sugar.
  • Gary_AquaMan
    Gary_AquaMan Posts: 52 Member
    Also see if you can use an unsweetened yogurt also with the sweet fruit
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    thanks I am trying to eat clean so trying to stay away from processed. I only usually have a homemade treat on saturdays for our movie nights with the kids. SO like today it is all from fruit and on yogurt
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    I'm always over due to fruit. I look at it this way. I don't want to live in a world where I'm not allowed to eat a banana. I'm type 2 diabetic, and have spoken to my dietician about it, and she's given me the green light to eat fruit, up to 3 to 5 servings per day. (spread throughout the day, of course)
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    I really hate that column. It makes me insecure.
    I go over every day. Oh No! I ate an orange!!!
    If I didn't eat fruit I would wind up binging on oreos. I think I am picking the better of the two.
    I eat 1/2 pc. of fruit 4x a day. It really isn't a lot.
  • Amyes1
    Amyes1 Posts: 41
    I am also over everyday. Fruit is filling due to it's high water volume and it is good for you. I have mostly given up the yogurt after seeing the amount of sugar I get from fruit, regardless of the fact that it is good sugar. Your progress looks good, so what you are doing seems to be working!
  • I don't even display sugar any more - I've replaced it with Fiber.
    If your not eating junk it's a worthless column imho.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Sugar is such an arbitrary category. All of that is actually included in your carbohydrate column, it's just that the simple sugars are isolated. And sugar covers everything from natural fructose, lactose from dairy, or sucrose from junk food. I really wouldn't worry about it because it's really not going to help you eating healthy.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    I never worry about natural sugars! It's the fatty junk food that panics me.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Nope. I don't worry about natural sugars - it's the added sugar that I try to limit. I love fuji apples and all 24 grams of sugar. (in a large one)
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    I toyed with idea of getting rid of the sugar tracking category as it is worthless. But I keep it around to help educate myself where sugar is hiding in food. I have a treat now and then but most of mine is from fresh and dried fruit, carrots, yogurt, brown sugar in my oatmeal, etc.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    The reason fructose is good for you is that its easily transported and stored through the body, this means your body needs to produce less insulin to deal with it. Thats a good thing cos insulin promotes fat storage, so minimising insulin production = less fat storage.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    I never look at sugar. 95% of mine come from natural food sources, not processed stuff. It's just another carb.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    If it fits your macros, go for it.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    fructose =/= sucrose
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    i also dont look at mine i eat and drink alot of fruits, as long as im not eating a candy bar, or drinking soda i disregard it completely. i pay more attention to my carbs, fiber and protein. I'm over by 85 today and was told a few years ago I was boarderline type 2 diabetic. I no longer take meds for it and I have no issues with my sugar. I also drink a ton of water throughout the day
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Fruit don't bother me. Suger is used for energy and gives a fast boost of energy which is needed. :drinker:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    berries in general are lower in the glycemic index, but fruit also isn't just sugar... they have micro-nutrients which is why you're supposed to get 1-2 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Im going to play devils advocate here and say i do worry about it. I try to keep my sugars to.30-35g because it does effect my losses if i dont. I max out.on green veggies and salad instead. I have the odd spike but mainly try to keep it to that. If your way is working stick with it. If it isn't working in any way, do an experiment cutting back and see what happens.

Lowest GI fruits are berries, grapes, melon and pineapple. I usually go berries!

Zara x
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Just out of curiosity. OP do you know that sugar is a part of your daily carb count?