Stop doing SQUATS!

Options

Replies

• ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How deep are you squatting? Is your hip joint below your knee joint?

I squat pretty deep to work on my glutes. I alternate squat types. With some I do and others I stay parallel.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to try to restrict your knees from going past your toes. If your anatomy is such that they need to, then you are putting an unnecessary strain on yourself.

You keep saying your form is "fine" but we have no way to really know that. Maybe you're not squatting with enough depth.

You say you're doing body weight only. If you were to add weight, you would strengthen the muscles around your knees, and may see decrease in knee issues.

Do you have video of you squatting?
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Stop doing them daily or you could cause further injury, change to every other day and fewer of them. I can not do squats daily, far too much pain. Supplements and minerials that I make sure my diet has that has greatly helped with the joint pain includes fish oil, glucosamine, chondroitin, niacin, magnesium, potassium, calcium and tart cherry.

Thanks for the info on the vitamins! :)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    When I played ball in high school, I had a sore knee and the trainer had me do, instead of the up-down-up-down of the squat, a squat and hold. It worked for me because the motion, not the strain of the hold, was what was exacerbating the situation in my circumstance. Hope you find what works. Good luck. ! :)

Edit: I also was made to wear neoprene sleeves on my knees (I still wear 'em). It helped/helps them stay warm and loose.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Both my physio and sports med said keeping knees behind your feet is a pervasive myth that just perpetuates knee injury. Its natural to have your knee come forward a bit. I def. felt less pain in my knees when I stopped focusing on keeping my knees from coming over my toes.

Really? Omg I can still hear my last trainer's voice in the back of my head telling me to never let my knees go past my toes lol.

Women tend to have longer femur to whole leg length ratios, which makes it nearly impossible for many to never let knees go past toes. You can try putting small 2.5 pound plates under your heels until your form is improved. That will also keep you from pitching forward at the bottom of your squat.

Still hold that you can leg press until your knees recover, though.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Are you certain you're using proper form?

This.I would suggest you make a video and post here so we can crosscheck your form
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a break from squats for at least a couple of weeks.

Do you have access to leg machines at the gym? It might be safer for you to work on those than to squat, at least for a while.

You could also take up yoga to work on strengthening the muscles around the knee and improving alignment--but make sure to shop around for a teacher who (a) has many years of experience and (b) is well-versed in working around injuries. Teachers in the Iyengar and Anusara traditions are best for that, in my opinion. Avoid power yoga/Vinyasa.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Are you going, '*kitten* to the grass' squats? My knees have actually improved. I also swear by omega3 supplements - I even give them to the dog for his old dodgy hips. And blueberries, believe it or not.

Why do all doctors say to swim? This is the exercise that gives my knee the most jip :/

Good luck with it.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I would recommend following your docs orders. Trying to do high impact workouts with excess weight on your body only makes it harder on your joints.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Everybody is telling you the same thing, please listen. Get on a bicycle til the knee is better. It will strengthen the muscles around the knee. Good luck.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    For now stop with squats until your knees feel better. Adding Fish Oil may help .

Does fish oil really work? I've tried to research it, but I haven't found too much info on that.

Yes, it's amazing, if I forget to take it, I know about it.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I started out with really bad knees and worked up slowly.
    I do squats and lunges, but as soon as I feel my knees not liking it, I stop and do some other exercise.

On days that my knees are really hurting, I skip squats all together and just take an uphill walk -
    great for the legs and gluts.
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options
    Keep doing the un-squatty parts of P90X. And maybe after a few days or a week, or however long you feel you need, perhaps try starting squats again but not going as deep. It's possible that your legs/butt aren't quite strong enough to support the movement so more pressure is going into the knees. Maybe build it back up slowly?

I'm going to work really hard at trying to use the phrase "un-squatty" in a conversation tonight. I like it!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    For now stop with squats until your knees feel better. Adding Fish Oil may help .

Does fish oil really work? I've tried to research it, but I haven't found too much info on that.

Depends on what the issues are.
    If your omega 3 / omega 6 balance is off that contributes to inflammation.. inflammation contributes to knee pain....

Take time off squats work on isolation exercises to strengthen muscles that support knees. Work them back in slowly....

You likely have a tracking or other biomechanical issue that is being caused by a strength imbalance or flexibility problem. Until you can identify and correct the root cause you will be constantly avoiding exercises and treating symptoms. Ibroprophin and ice doesn't fix anything
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    FOAM ROLLER!!!

This is incredibly common. Whoever mentioned IT band is on the right track. If you don't remember causing trauma to the knee, (bumping, twisting, jamming) I would bet $20 this is a mobility issue. The problem could be in your IT band or your hips. Get a foam roller and roll out!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read about squats says if you are doing them correctly it doesn't put any stress on the knees.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Many people find that glucosomine in tablet/pill form is not helpful and find much better results with liquid (synflex is the one I found that tasted the best).
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    Squats, lunges and twisting activities are bad for knees. Do what the doc says. There is no magic supplement to make them better. I suffer from bad knees, clicking, popping, ouchies. I wear braces to help. No running either. it sucks
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i started doing squats to strengthen the muscles around my knees to protect them.

so why are they making your knees hurt more?

Beats me.

I'm guessing either you have some sort of injury that you need to let heal, or you are not doing your squats properly, or both.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges and twisting activities are bad for knees. Do what the doc says. There is no magic supplement to make them better. I suffer from bad knees, clicking, popping, ouchies. I wear braces to help. No running either. it sucks

This is true for you. Not everyone.