Diet Pills? Alli in particular...

Options
Does anyone have any information about using diet pills? I wonder if they are just a waist of money or is there something out there that can give me a little momentum?

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I never tried Alli, but in general, from personal experience, they're a waste of money. :ohwell:
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    IMHO - if there were a quick, easy way to lose weight, we'd all be skinny. Pills may take it off, but (besides risking serious side effects), if you don't change your habits, and the way you think about food and exercise, it is a temporary solution. I believe the only way to succeed is to learn as much as you can about how your body works, proper nutrition, and the importance of exercise, then use all of that to take off extra weight slooowwwlllyyy.

Again, IMHO. But I think you'll find lots of people that agree.
  • fitgirl232
    Options
    Alli is the only one that has been tested by the FDA to work. It works by blocking fat in the digestive track and eliminating it in the bowel. I had to do research on it when it first came out for one of my nursing classes and the side effects are horrible! It can cause anal leakage (which is uncontrollable) if you eat too much fat. (Which I guess is motivation enough to not reach for that cheeseburger). Aside from that, it does not discriminate which fat it blocks and which it doesnt, so all the healthy fats (unsaturated, omega 3s, 6s, ect) are not absorbed. So needless to say, the best way to lose weight is good ole diet and exercise.
  • clarenthm
    Options
    I have been doing a lot of research on Alli, the reviews are mixed, mainly surrounding the side effects. It is FDA approved, most people say that they are making choices, while using the product. I am going to give it a try.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was taking Alli and followed the plan to the T..did I lose weight?? YES Did I have side effects or as they call it Treatment Effects ? NO..I lost rapidly and consistantly for 2 months...
    BUT i stopped taking them due to $$ and I gained all the weight back and FAST...
    For me, and this is just my opinion, what kept me on the "plan" was the fear of the Side effects...so I kept it way under 11 g Fat per meal...
    You can do that without the pills IMHO...

Good luck with whatver you decide to do :)
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I tried alli and hated it, It made me have to run to the bathroom after everything!! And sometimes my tummy would not be upset but all of a sudden I had to go, it's NOT CUTE!! I couldn't handle it.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Alli is bad news for a simple reason - your body requires fat to properly digest nutrients, particularly fat soluable vitamins like A,D,E, and K. So, in essence, you decrease your body's ability to properly absorb four very critical vitamins and you risk [wonderful] side effects such as oily spotting and fecal incontinence.

Clinical trials (pulled from GSK's website) indicate that users of Alli lost an average of 13.4 lbs per year while placebo patients lost 5.8 lbs. Something tells me the side effects are simply not worth a 7.6 clinical differential in one year's time. It's also fairly expensive, which for most, is probably the biggest drawback.

Also, removing the fat from your diet is a fad long past. Might have been "the thing" in the 80s and 90s, but more recent research is emphasizing the importance of healthy fats (especially Omega 3 fatty acids) in our diet. Your body needs it. Pills that are designed to leech it from your body are unhealthy.
  • bslclay
    bslclay Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. I think i will skip the pills....
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. I think i will skip the pills....

Bravo! Just take it one day at a time...it took time to put weight on, it will take time to take it off. Eat right, count your calories here, come here for support, encouragement, and knowledge, exercise at least a few days a week...and it will happen. First step is to convince yourself of that, and then NEVER look back.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    bslclay -
    Bravo. You can do this without pills. You will have tons of support here. That said, I do believe there are healthy, natural supplements out there that have no negative side effects and many benefits, including weight loss. I drink Shakeology shakes for breakfast every day and it has definitely helped me in this process and I know it is full of healthy, whole food nutrition with no chemicals or artificial sweeteners or fillers. Love it!!
    Risa
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Alli will make you sh|t in your pants. Why would you want that?
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, eat veggies, fruit, and high fiber foods and it will flush out your body too and it's way healthier way to do it :smile:
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

LOL! That doesn't sound pleasing..
  • hymiesmom
    hymiesmom Posts: 76
    Options

hahahaha....How can anyone argue with that?!?!?!! You sure know how to put things in perspective!!! I'm still laughing...!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I've had plenty of success with watching what I eat and exercise. If I can do this, anyone can. :wink:

My biggest weightloss tip: Knowledge is power. Educate yourself about what you're doing and your body's needs.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    One of my friends told me that a girl she works with was taking Alli and crapped her pants during a business meeting no less! She had on white dress pants and tried to make it out of the room but didn't. Everyone saw and everyone knew what had happened. She had to leave work immediately to go and change her pants! Can you just imagine!!??? How embarrassing! I'd have to quit my job on the spot. Or move.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    RainbowNtheWaterfall Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    that sounds very creepy...and so embarassing...love your signature statements btw...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    The more slowly you lose weight, the longer you'll keep it off! I take an all natural metabolism booster and mood stabilizer called System Six (and yes, I do notice a difference), but my habits and the way I think about food are completely different than when I started 6 months ago. Never again will I be anywhere near to 200 in my lifetime. I will see to that!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I love alli. It works and no it doesn't have any side effects as long as you follow the instructions. If you have side effects on alli, you're doing it wrong! You're supposed to take it with every meal and each meal should average 15 grams of fat. No duh you're going to have side effects if you eat 30 grams of fat in a single meal. FDA approved and it works.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Alli is the only one that has been tested by the FDA to work. It works by blocking fat in the digestive track and eliminating it in the bowel. I had to do research on it when it first came out for one of my nursing classes and the side effects are horrible! It can cause anal leakage (which is uncontrollable) if you eat too much fat. (Which I guess is motivation enough to not reach for that cheeseburger). Aside from that, it does not discriminate which fat it blocks and which it doesnt, so all the healthy fats (unsaturated, omega 3s, 6s, ect) are not absorbed. So needless to say, the best way to lose weight is good ole diet and exercise.

Basically is a half dosage to the prescription Xenical/Orlistat. It is half the dosage so that it could be sold over the counter.