Insanity Calories Burned???

Options
I can't seem to find Insanity in the exercises? What do you guys use to measure the calories burned for the Insanity program here on MFP?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Use the nutrition guide ... there is a formula that will help you calculate how many calories you need every day while doing Insanity ... subtract 250 from your total to lose weight. You can also look up your caloric needs here: http://teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/nutrition-tools/caloric-needs or ask your coach if you don't have access to it. You can also ping me your age, height, and weight if you want me to look it up for you :wink:.

Most people will take their base calories and just add the difference when they work out (as exercise calories) but you may end up under-eating on rest days. I normally recommend that you set your activity level to high and then add the extra calories manually if the formula says you need more.
  • Mando55
    Mando55 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have the nutrition guide but is there any other way to just add it from MFP's data base? (5'11'' 235.8 lb. 32 yo) Did the Fit Test today.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    I have the nutrition guide but is there any other way to just add it from MFP's data base? (5'11'' 235.8 lb. 32 yo) Did the Fit Test today.

You're showing 3031 calories to lose weight on Insanity. So set your activity level to very high and on exercise days, add whatever amount you need to hit that number.

For adding the exercise, go to: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/new ... and it will be in your personal database.
  • Mando55
    Options
    So my max caloric intake is 3031 on insanity? That is A LOT! On MFP is way less. Still don't quite understand how many calories I burned.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    What does MFP say you need on Very Active?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The Insanity formula is coming up with 2555-2800 so you can start there and bump up if you get hungry.

What does MFP say you need on Very Active?

She is confused on what you are asking. Are you trying to tell him how many calories he needs to eat in a day OR how many calories he burned doing the fit test for Insanity (which is what he is asking).

You definitely need to get a heart rate monitor to figure out exactly what you are burning. There's nothing in the exercise database for that activity. I usually burn anywhere from 300-350 calories per session.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    The Insanity formula is coming up with 2555-2800 so you can start there and bump up if you get hungry.

I made a mistake on the formula. The number is much bigger than that. So 3k is about what the program says you need every day.

To be sure you're eating enough, subtract your goal from 3k and add that as exercise calories.

You probably don't need that today ... but in general that's the number you should be shooting for on Insanity, especially if you're doubling with running.
  • Mando55
    Options
    I purchased a heart rate monitor today (a bowflex one) but I forgot to start it when I began the workout. Duh!
  • Mando55
    Options
    2660 calories a day on very active, I just changed it.
  • hiddensecant
    Options

That's not too bad ... so your exercise calories are going to be around 340 calories.
  • Mando55
    Options
    Is that all I burned today, 340 calories during the Fit Test?

That's not too bad ... so your exercise calories are going to be around 340 calories.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Is that all I burned today, 340 calories during the Fit Test?

Only a heart rate monitor can tell you that .. this is just how much you should add to your calories because of the workout.