Has anyone gotten heartburn relief from losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I used to get heartburn every day. EVERY. DAY.
    Since starting MFP, I haven't gotten it all, except for a very mild case recently... when I was on vacation and eating much higher calorie foods. I probably even had something fried, which i think was the culprit.

So I don't know if it's the weight loss, or the diet change, or a combination of both, but it's gone. So is my snoring. :)
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes! I use to get terrible heartburn daily! (I started out at 220LBS) Now (163lbs) I rarely if ever get it! Yay!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    One other thing I forgot to say, kinda to contradict/correct an earlier poster. Things like milk ARE good, as they provide a good buffer against HCl in the stomach

WHAAAAA?? Not for me! Milk absolutely is a BAD thing for people with acid reflux. It does NOT "coat your stomach."

Exactly, milk does not "coat the stomach", unless you are talking about skim milk and I don't drink skim milk, ew.

"You can include protein sources, which contain saturated fat, in an acid reflux diet by reducing the associated fat. For example, while whole milk and whole-milk products may contribute to acid reflux, skim milk or low-fat yogurt may not be as problematic. Other low-fat or fat-free dairy products, as well as lean meats with all visible fat trimmed off and poultry without skin, are other proteins you may include in an acid reflux diet. Because people have different trigger foods, though, you may have to test out low-fat milk or low-fat yogurt to see if they cause heartburn symptoms."

"Skim milk may work as a remedy for quick relief from heartburn if you don't have antacids or acid-reducing medication available. The remedy includes sipping a small amount of skim milk and remaining upright for 30 minutes for relief from heartburn. Make certain you use skim milk, though, and not milk with fat content, which can encourage acid reflux."

Absolutely, milk is only a short term benefactor, I would never say to use in the stead of something else like an acid reducer. Im referring to skim/fat free milk (sorry, all I ever drank growing up), mainly because its alkaline properties can help reduce some of the acidity of the Hydrocholoric acid (slightly). What I mean is that milk should not be something that increases GERD or acid reflux, if anything it should reduce it (slightly)
  • amystpierre
    amystpierre Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    YES, YES, YES, YES! Have had none in over 3 months since losing 29 pounds! And I had quite a bit before, so awesome feeling!
  • runrettarun
    Options
    Yes! And the diet change as well. Less fried, spicy and meats. Good luck!!
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I suffered badly from acid reflux to the point I was hospitalized a few times from it.. I am happy to say that in the last 2 years I haven't been affected by it.. woohooo