What is your daily calorie deficit goal?

Mine is 1000 to meet my goal of losing 2 lbs/week.

My sedentary BMR is 1700, so that 700 cal + whatever I burn in the gym that day (always at least 500 cal) is what I eat during the day (always over 1200).

Does this sound normal to other people? It makes sense to me...but I want to make sure I'm not crazy haha

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    some people will tell you that 2lb per week is too ambitious..

I say give it a shot for about four to six weeks but after then you might want to bump your cals up to where you are eating at a loss = to 1lb per week loss....

I have mine set at .5 lb per week loss..but I am trying to lose body fat% and preserve as much muscle as possible in process...
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    honestly, that sounds way too low of a calorie deficit unless your main goal is to loose mainly muscle tissue and not fat tissue.

i'm 5'2" and currently weigh 128lbs and im 24. I eat about 1700 calories a day, and i still manage to loose .5lbs a week. And honestly most of that seems to come from fat...i look 10x better in the mirror and my measurements are going down, although the scale doesn't move horrifically fast.

Now obviously, how much you eat depends on how much you weigh, activity level, and such.

I've lost 13lbs doing it the unhealthy way. I ate way too low, and in the end i regret it. I lost a lot of muscle tone and im very sad to have to rebuild that and now focus on losing fat, not necessarily weight.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Mine is 250-500. I have it set for .5 pound a week, but sometimes leave a buffer to cover calorie counts I'm not absolutely sure of. I tried a deficit of 1000 when I lost my first chunk of weight two years ago, but it was too aggressive for me so I scaled it back to 500 then. Now I have less to lose, so I went to a smaller deficit.
  • Hmmm okay. It's been working for me so far, lost 20 lbs. I'm 5"8 and have a lot of muscle from being a 3 sport athlete through high school. But now I'm trying to lose the fat that's on top. I think I'll stick with it for a little bit longer until I hit a plateau or lose about 10 more. I'm ready to be at the point where I can really focus on strength training and toning instead of burning fat.