Breastfeeding and eating help

I need to clean up my eating completely or I'm never going to see results. I'm currently breastfeeding. I'm terrified to compromise my supply. What should I be eating to lose weight, fuel my workouts and keep my supply up? I find myself eating processed garbage because it's convenient with having a two year old and a newb in the house but I'm not doing my family or myself any favors.

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats, healthy fats (nuts, seeds, good quality olive, coconut, almond oils)

I wouldn't recommend eating at a deficit while breastfeeding without a doctors recommendation and supervision. I think adding some light exercise may help, too. Look into postpartum yoga vidoes or classes, a stroller mom group (I don't know if this is a universal thing but in my neighborhoods there's a bunch of groups of new moms that meet up and go for walks together!) or just some light walking on your own.

Honestly, though, what's the rush? Your baby will only have the opportunity to bond with you in this way for a short time, you have the rest of your life to lose weight and eat clean or whatever. Enjoy your time and don't stress. Eat foods you like and stop when you're full.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    I successfully bf my daughter for over 2 years and lost 38#. I set my BMR to 500 calories over suggested BMR and ate back my exercise calories- drank lots if water. Amazingly, gained some weight back after I quit bfing
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I was eating about 1200-1400 calories while breastfeeding. I cleared it with my lactation consultant, OB, and pediatrician. My LC said that as long as my body had the energy to run, it would have the energy to produce milk. I've heard recommendations of around 1600. I lost 50 lbs in 6 months and breastfed for 22 months. I pumped at work and produced so much that I had not buy a new storage freezer to store all of the milk in. I filled it up and ended up having to donate an entire freezer of milk. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never had a supply problem :smile:

Weight watchers recommends adding 300 calories but I followed their core plan and didn't really count calories (except occasionally).