Snacking at nighttime? Haaaalp! D:

Options
I am well under my calorie goal for the day, and my belly is rumbling for a snack. I know that eating after a certain time is supposedly not good for you, but ignoring my hunger can't be good either. Would a low cal snack be that awful?

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    If you are under your calorie goal, and you are hungry. Eat something :) Just don't binge-eat, measure it out and enjoy it.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I know that eating after a certain time is supposedly not good for you

Who told you this?
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Some people skip meals in the day, eat most of their calories at night, exercise, meet their macros and look amazing. It doesn't matter when you eat.
  • AlyyBii
    AlyyBii Posts: 11
    Options

Who told you this?
    Well, I keep hearing it from a bunch of people, mostly from my parents. :S Is that not true?
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Pick something with protein in it, like a handful of almonds, then wash it down with water and go brush your teeth. If you just sit there thinking about how miserable and hungry you feel you might end up overeating instead.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

Who told you this?
    Well, I keep hearing it from a bunch of people, mostly from my parents. :S Is that not true?

A small snack won't hurt you, regardless. I eat dinner late and it hasn't impacted my weight loss at all.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Who told you this?

Not true at all! I eat most of my calories in the evening after my workouts. If you have calories left and you're hungry, EAT! :drinker:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I am well under my calorie goal for the day, and my belly is rumbling for a snack. I know that eating after a certain time is supposedly not good for you, but ignoring my hunger can't be good either. Would a low cal snack be that awful?

Eating after a certain time will not cause you to magically gain more weight. Eat when you are hungry - listen to your body. It knows best.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    Some people skip meals in the day, eat most of their calories at night, exercise, meet their macros and look amazing. It doesn't matter when you eat.

i agree! enjoy eating those delicious calories :D
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Have some veggies and hummus :)
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Watermelon.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Who told you this?

Nope. Nom away!
  • AlyyBii
    Options
    Whewww... thank you all. It's really a relief to know that. It's hard to get my meals in before a certain time, thanks to working in a restaurant. Stupid hours = awkward meal times.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    if youre under you will not gain any weight at all. the weight gain happens when youre over. doesnt matter time of day
  • sda2012
    sda2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    was wondering the same thing, I am under my calories, and have had the fear put in me about "eating so late at night" good to know!!!!!!!!
  • gescobedo81
    gescobedo81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    EAT ITT!! I snack at night too *cheers
  • pinkcloudrising
    Options
    Eating after dark is supposed to be bad for you because your body supposedly doesn't digest / process food after dark, or that is how I heard it. I don't exactly buy into it.

I believe for some of us, eating late night isn't such a good idea because for some of us, night eating is a manifestation of our eating disorder. I try to avoid eating after 9:00pm if at all possible, because that is when I did my primo binging and purging. I couldn't stand the feeling of going to bed with a full stomach so I'd purge it. I hated that cycle of binging and purging before bed but I did it anyway. It didn't occur to me for a long time that in order to stop the purging that I should stop the binging.

I agree with everyone that having a snack that is within your remaining calorie allowance is a good idea. Being physically hungry isn't good and can lead to a blow-out binge. I would factor in an after dinner snack every night if I were you just so that you don't start setting yourself up for binging.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options

you only ate a little more than 800 calories today- of course your stomach is rumbling! Honey it doens't matter what time you eat, you could eat in bed if you wanted. But please make sure you are eating enough throughout the day to sustain your body!
  • AlyyBii
    Options

you only ate a little more than 800 calories today- of course your stomach is rumbling! Honey it doens't matter what time you eat, you could eat in bed if you wanted. But please make sure you are eating enough throughout the day to sustain your body!
    I knowwww. D: The only reason I've ever let myself eat that much a day is that I forget to eat until later, then I don't eat because I was told I'm not supposed to eat after a certain time.
  • greenteaandblueskies
    Options
    I don't know where she heard it, but I've heard that a lot from friends and the internet :/ I hope it's not true!