What to eat at this greasy spoon?

Options
My good friend is going to court later this week, and wants go to one of his favorite restaurants with me.

The place is a greasy spoon, and I've been trying to eat healthier and lose weight. Prior to going, I'd like to have something in mind that isn't too entirely greasy and won't eat through my entire calorie allowance for the day. I've been eating a lot of oatmeal lately.. so I want to exclude that option.

Here's their menu: http://theflameburger.com/Menu.html

Any thoughts on what I should order there that will satisfy me?

Replies

• kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Eggs on hashbrowns, skip the toast. Add some bacon is you have the calories available. Drink tea or water.

It is a regular breakfast option for me and an occasional weekend lunch.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    chili with crackers. two eggs with oatmeal or english muffin with peanut butter as the side.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Whatever you feel like/ like the look of on the day.

Its not like you are going there every day.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can normally find something, but this looks hopeless (and not even worth those calories). Your only choice is to get something smaller and without the fries and than eat half of it.
  • smichelle65
    smichelle65 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Would they go all "Five Easy Pieces" on you if you requested something off the menu, like an egg white omelet with onions and peppers? You can probably request they cook it with light cooking spray instead of butter.
  • fanakar
    fanakar Posts: 23
    Options
    Everybody started picking out breakfast items, but I didn't see where you specifically said you were gonna do breakfast. And can you vary the way you ask them to cook the food? Like can you get a fried egg or a boiled egg or is it all exactly like they say? And you mentioned court. Is this like a "last meal on the outside" kind of deal for your friend because they might be expecting you to really go full force along with them if they are about to get sent up the river. Will they be offended if you eat light? I looked at your food calorie goal for the day and I would budget about 400 calories for the meal.

Anyway, if it's breakfast that you are picking and you have some leeway:
    2 hard boiled eggs-that should be right at 140 calories
    2-4 strips of bacon-between 70 and 140 calories

Last thing, two items on the menu appear to require fruit as a topping, the pancakes and maybe some of the desserts. That leads me to believe that the restaurant might be in possession of fresh fruit. Ask them to put together a small bowel of fresh fruit if it is available. Looks like they might have strawberries and/or blueberries.

If you are doing lunch or dinner, do the dinner salad with ham and cheese, but obviously ask for ham, cheese, croutons and dressing on the side and then just carefully add all four to the salad.
  • tgustafson85
    tgustafson85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No, it's not his last meal on the outside. It was tough to do but I told him I am simply going to have to pass and that we should do something else when he gets back. :-/

I just know I'd have trouble with exhibiting any sort of self-control. As it stands, I have a hard enough time resisting bacon and eggs, which my roommate cooks for breakfast nearly every day..
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    say no to grease!

Makes me sick every time

Grease is bad.. lol
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Chicken filet on bun, without fries (substitute fries with dinner salad) if you're hungry?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Fail. What kind of restaurant doesn't carry Reuben sammiches?

Try the Sirloin steak dinner. I love me steak.

Are you concerned about the calories? Well, just eat light the rest of the day or workout before or after the restaurant and/or eat light the next or prior day leaving you some calories.

The cool thing about counting calories is that theres a variety of tools and methods for you to enjoy your meals yet still stay under target. One day isn't going to ruin your "diet". Enjoy some, you pretty much have to if you plan to stick with the program and not get sick of it :)

Good luck and think about going to another joint that has a good Reuben sammich!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Fail. What kind of restaurant doesn't carry Reuben sammiches?

Try the Sirloin steak dinner. I love me steak.

Are you concerned about the calories? Well, just eat light the rest of the day or workout before or after the restaurant and/or eat light the next or prior day leaving you some calories.

The cool thing about counting calories is that theres a variety of tools and methods for you to enjoy your meals yet still stay under target. One day isn't going to ruin your "diet". Enjoy some, you pretty much have to if you plan to stick with the program and not get sick of it :)

Good luck and think about going to another joint that has a good Reuben sammich!

Hi Taunto
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    California Flameburger with Bacon and Cheese

or if it's breakfast, I'd go with Ranch Breakfast and add 1 egg.