I think I'm bloated after beginning a new exercise routine?

I had been doing the same routine- cardio with (what I would say was) not enough strength training, for a long while. I've added more strength-building exercises in and I'm pleasantly sore- but it's only been a couple of days and this morning I weighed 105.7, which is I guess 1.5 or 2 lbs more than my regular weight (I'm 5 ft 5 or 5 ft 6-ish), and I wouldn't usually be so worried because I know that people often gain weight when they change their exercise routines, but I'm also really bloated! Or I think so, at least. I look in the mirror and my stomach looks more distended than usual and I honestly can't tell if it's fat or if I'm just bloated. (I should add that I usually poop a lot right before I weigh myself in the morning, but that simply hasn't been happening lately for one reason or another, though I wouldn't say I'm completely constipated per se)

I'm also on birth control for a hormonal imbalance which has thrown my menstrual cycle off, and when I'm on my period I often get bloated and constipated and gain some weight. But I wouldn't usually be having my period around this time.

This is all just awfully frustrating. I'm not eating any more than I usually would and the fact that I can't tell whether or not it's a natural body cycle or weight gain makes me feel like I have no control over what's happening to me.

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Strength training fills your muscles with fluid after, I got up by 3-4 pounds the day after I work out. It's normal :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Yup I'm generally 2-3 pounds up when I'm sore. In the beginning it was worse, it has gone down over time. But yesterday I increased the weight on a lot of my lifts and sure enough this morning I've got an increase it scale weight. If you're sore it's a sure sign you're retaining water.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    i weigh almost 6lbs more after workout days. I started not to weigh until mondays, after I have fasted my 24hr period sat-sun and no workout on sunday. feel like its the truest once my body kinda resets
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Thank you guys :) I'll try not to worry so much- but that's easier said than done :p