Judge Cans Soda Ban in NYC!

Options
OddballExtreme
OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
The soda ban on any containers larger than 16 ounces that was supposed to take effect today in New York City...has been halted by a New York state judge!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323826704578354543929974394.html

Replies

• drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Good! Sodas are generally pretty terrible for you but the goverment needs to keep it's nose out of people's lives as much as possible.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I think it would be more appropriate to print the number of calories on the side of the cup, assuming we're talking about disposable cups.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I saw that this morning. It's good to know there is someone out there watching the watchers.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The ban was ill advised, plenty of OTHER ways to ruin your health that went unchecked so this was all BS political posturing anyway. The effect on small businesses that would have to make significant changes to their inventories was hardly addressed at any point, it was all "ZOMG soda makes you fat" and yet super giant sugar laden coffee/milk drinks were not affected and you can still buy cigarettes. People sitting next to me at the movie theatre with a big gulp do not make me fat, but there are still places where I will be subjected to second hand smoke.
  • OddballExtreme
    Options
    Good! Sodas are generally pretty terrible for you but the goverment needs to keep it's nose out of people's lives as much as possible.
    Amen to that! I lost all my weight on my own. I didn't need the government telling me what to do when it comes to food and soda. I can even count how many times I've had any type of soda in the past year: three. Not one of those cases was it more than 8 oz. This type of situation should be decided by each individual, not the government. :explode:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    what a relief. I know my day is better knowing a new yorker can still get 32oz of soda in one container instead of 2.
  • OddballExtreme
    Options
    Even better than that...the state of Mississippi has passed the "Anti-Bloomberg Bill," meaning NO town in the state can try the same thing Bloomberg has done. The one thing I don't like about it...restaurants CANNOT post calorie counts even if they wanted to.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/passes-anti-bloomberg-bill-bans-limits-portions-posting-calorie-counts-article-1.1286804
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options

If you live in NYC, gonna say you must like or are passive about such nanny-mayors, who kinda just do whatever to see if it sticks. He was reelected TWICE.

And the judge concluded that NYC government CAN legislate this, but via city council, not through the mayor's office.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i see what you did there
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    i see what you did there

This. Clever.
  • rpp223
    rpp223 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    What I dont understand is why NY is attacking soda when there are tobacco products sold in every convenience store, gas station etc. I would think that these products have a larger impact on peoples health then soda. I guess they just have not been able to figure a way to tax soda the way they tax tobacco products.

Thank god government has our best interest in mind when they make these decisions.