Healthy bread

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great ideas guys. I need to do some more investigating. Thanks all. I was really under the impressions that ALL bread was kind of taboo.
    Not unless you've chosen a low carb diet.

Personally, I like the Ezekiel breads.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I got a bread machine. I know exactly what goes in my bread, so I knwo what each slice costs me in terms of calories and OH MY LORD it makes supermarket bread taste like cardboard. I figure if I am going to be only having a LITTLE bread it should be delicious.

My fave bread mixes whole oats, then half 100% whole wheat flour and half white bread flour.

It's awesome.
  • throttle2009
    Options
    I have tried a few of this brands sprouted grains bread.. All are good.

http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Alvarado Street - Whole Grain Flax Seed Bread
    50 calories per slice
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life makes low carb, 35 calorie per slice white and wheat bread, 80 cal hamburger buns and English muffins, but I'm not sure how many cals are in those, not many tho.
    It's not the same as fresh bread out of the oven, but it's a lot better than other high calorie, whole wheat stuff that has the texture of cardboard.
  • alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat Sara Lee Light and Delicious 45 calorie Whole Wheat Bread. The slices are a little thinner than regular bread but you can toast it without it feeling like a piece of a board. The other bread I have eaten in the past is Healthy Life bread but I like the Sara Lee better.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Alvarado Street - Whole Grain Flax Seed Bread
    50 cal per slice
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    100% Whole Wheat bread (nothing enriched), I eat Aunt Millie's. Ezekiel breads, I eat Food for Life. Usually if it doesn't have enriched white flour in it, it's safe. Whole wheat flour should be the first ingredient. Read the labels and if you question the ingredients, look it up. :)
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Ezekiel bread. Contains no flour. Equivalent to an egg in protein. Contains essential and amino acids. High fiber, low GI,

Also people are talking about making pizza crust out of cauliflower and are raving about it. Haven't tried it but going to.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ezekiel bread fits my macros the best. the low sodium version. =) I know people are getting snarky with the comments and it really does get old. She had a valid question and is just trying to make the most of out of macros.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I know it's 100 calories a piece (not much of a bread eater here) but I love Fiber One whole wheat bread..it has 7 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein!

I would love to try the Ezekiel or sprouted kinds but I can never find them....
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The bloating comes from too quick fermentation process used in supermarket cheap bagged/sliced bread.

Go for an artisan sourdough bread if you absolutely have to. Or try Rye or Spelt bread - easier to digest than wheat.
  • MLHINTON
    MLHINTON Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you tried Ezekiel Breads? You find it in the freezer at most supermarkets. I noticed on previous answer that it doesnt contain flour. Wrong info, it does have flour that is made from sprouted grains.
  • xxstormynightsxx
    Options
    I find Nature's Own 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat bread to be delicious and very good for you. A lot of "whole wheat" bread, I have heard, is not truly whole wheat, and not any better for you than white flour. I do know this has worked well for me. I lost 22 lbs and, being in a college dorm where I can't use anything to cook besides a microwave, this is one on my staple foods. Also, it has 50 calories per slice, with only 1 gram of sugar.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I got a bread machine. I know exactly what goes in my bread, so I knwo what each slice costs me in terms of calories and OH MY LORD it makes supermarket bread taste like cardboard. I figure if I am going to be only having a LITTLE bread it should be delicious.

My fave bread mixes whole oats, then half 100% whole wheat flour and half white bread flour.

It's awesome.

I also make my own bread. I perfected a recipe that makes a 2 lb loaf and I know exactly what goes in it. Here is the recipe if you are interested.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread

1 1/2 cups water
    2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons honey
    2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons butter, softened
    1 2/3 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons powdered milk
    2 1/4 cups flour (I use a multigrain flour)
    1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1 1/4 teaspoon yeast

Directions:
    Choose the following settings: 2 lb loaf, whole grain or whole wheat setting, regular crust. Add ingredients to bread machine in order directed listed. Don't let the yeast touch any liquid. About 121 calories a slice.

By the way, it tastes awesome!
  • Ron6098
    Ron6098 Posts: 31
    Options
    Joseph's bakery breads. High protein/low carb. Check it out.

^^This. Their lavash bread is pretty amazing for burritos and wraps. Pretty low cal as well.