Marathon Runners - Weight gain after long run

Options
Hi all,

If anyone is training for a marathon I'd love to hear if this happens to you. After every long run my weight goes up a bit for a few days. Today I gained 2.5lbs. I did a 24mile run that took 5.5hrs on Sunday. I know it's probably my body holding in the water it needs in the muscles? Just love to hear if anyone else experiences this.

Replies

• carrie3083
    carrie3083 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That is just your muscles swelling after the stress that was put on them. It will pass.
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One explanation is that as you're training, you're building more muscle mass, which is denser than fat. So while that may translate to an overall weight gain, your body fat percentage has decreased and you're more toned than you were before.

Another explanation is that your body is learning to store carbohydrates as fuel (glycogen) for your long runs. Those glycogen stores are important to completing your long runs and marathon without "hitting the wall", but you may see a couple extra pounds on the scale on certain days. Your body also requires additional water to break down and store the glycogen, so that will also add extra weight.

Also, you may have been increasing your calorie intake without realizing it. Keep in mind that running a lot does not give you carte blanche to eat whatever you want. The basic principle for weight loss still applies: You must burn more calories than you consume. To lose a pound, you have to burn, through exercise or life functions, about 3500 calories.

The more energy you store in the muscles, the more water has to be retained in those muscles in order to convert it into energy when you want it. As you build up your endurance, you will need to retain more and more water in your muscles.

This isn't a bad thing - it's how the body acts to increase endurance.

I have never run a race but I run an average 50 miles a week.

Good luck x don't fret
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

If anyone is training for a marathon I'd love to hear if this happens to you. After every long run my weight goes up a bit for a few days. Today I gained 2.5lbs. I did a 24mile run that took 5.5hrs on Sunday. I know it's probably my body holding in the water it needs in the muscles? Just love to hear if anyone else experiences this.

I get exactly the same too, albeit I haven't run anywhere near the distance you are talking about though.

It's down to fluid around the muscles, protecting them due to the stress.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    just have to echo that i think it's probably water weight. i always weigh more the day after a 4 hr bike ride. as another person mentioned, make sure that you are still netting a deficit on those days. you can run all you want but if you eat over your net goal, you'll still gain :tongue:
  • kbella67
    kbella67 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. I have always been up for a few days after an endurance run of any length over 6 miles so I am sure it's just the water weight stored in my muscles and my whole body recovering. I appreciate knowing you all have had the same thing!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have this every week after my long runs. As a few others have said, it's part of the body's way of responding to the stress you've asked it to endure. Be sure to rehydrate and fuel appropriately. Eat within an hour of finishing your long runs (30 mins is even better). This is when the body's cells are most willing to accept the nutrients you provide it. This will also help curb the hunger later in the day. Making this small change made a big difference for me. I always struggled with being super hungry following my long runs. I ended up over eating that day and the next, creating a slight gain in weight.

Btw - what are you training for?
  • kbella67
    kbella67 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much..traning for BOSTON. running for Dana Farber for the 2nd time. This is my 3rd marathon. So excited..only one month to go! I am adding you as a friend if you don't mind. I love runner friends.
  • LMurrieta540
    Options
    My body does the same thing, its just muscle trying to repair itself, doing my 2nd marathon on the 30th :)
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yah, BOSTON!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!