How do I get my butt back??

Options
dezcast
dezcast Posts: 429 Member
I seemed to have lost my butt...It used to be nice, now its just small. I want my butt back! How do I get it back without gaining weight? I lost a bit of weight and it seemed to have been only there and I would like to get it back,. Some people say squats, some say nothing I can do. Any help?

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Squats
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Squats, glute-hamstring raises, leg curls, lunges.

And last but certainly not least, sprints. I was a sprinter 22 years ago, and the muscle memory from sprinting and having a sprinter's butt is still there. You'll get it back if you work it.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Squats

yep.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, hamstring curls, hack squat, cable glute raise, vertical leg press.
  • dezcast
    dezcast Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    awesome thx! am I making it worse by running a lot?
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    not just me then, i lost mine last year, been doing squats and lunges and its starting to come back thank god sick of my dad calling me flat a**e lol
  • bdamaster60
    Options

not really, but your muscle glycogen will be depleted from running and will therefore seem your *kitten* look less plump.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Yes. You might want to drop back the cardio to no more than 2 hrs. a week. Cardio is catabolic (i.e. it tears down the body). One hopes that fat is what is torn down but, in women, because of the influence of estrogen (estrogen "loves" fat and is "meh" about muscle), often what is torn down is muscle. You will need to eat at a slight SURPLUS--especially protein--and work, work, work the muscles that you want to enlarge (gluts) with weight training. Weight training is anabolic (i.e. it builds up the body) when you give your body enough good food to build that muscle.
  • bdamaster60
    Options

Yes. You might want to drop back the cardio to no more than 2 hrs. a week. Cardio is catabolic (i.e. it tears down the body). One hopes that fat is what is torn down but, in women, because of the influence of estrogen (estrogen "loves" fat and is "meh" about muscle), often what is torn down is muscle. You will need to eat at a slight SURPLUS--especially protein--and work, work, work the muscles that you want to enlarge (gluts) with weight training. Weight training is anabolic (i.e. it builds up the body) when you give your body enough good food to build that muscle.

weight lifting is moreso catabolic.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. I got mine by running, but I was a sprinter. Incorporate sprinting into your workout. Short sprints at full speed, 50-100 meters, work best.

Look at pics of sprinters. There's no such thing as one with a flat behind. Endurance running, on the other hand, does not engage the gluteus to any great degree.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Nah.

I run & lift weights. My butt looks better than ever.

If you are squatting enough/heavy enough - you would have a difficult time doing enough cardio to do a lot of damage (unless you are running marathons, which is a whole other discussion).

Heavy squats = great butt.
  • rowerdc
    rowerdc Posts: 36
    Options
    Stairs and squats!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I second the squat and sprint suggestions. And if you have any hills near you then get climbing! Nothing gives me a sore bottom like a good mountain climb! (in a good, achy, I've had a good workout kind of way!). Amazing calorie burn while keeping your butt high and rounded.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Squats(with rasier heals is extra good)

Dead lifts

Goodmornings

Thrusters maybe ?

Burpees
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    deadlifts
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

No, in all the reading I have done, weight lifting is considered to be anabolic. You could use it to burn fat but the whole point of lifting weights is to build muscle---and that is anabolic.
  • bdamaster60
    Options

No, in all the reading I have done, weight lifting is considered to be anabolic. You could use it to burn fat but the whole point of lifting weights is to build muscle---and that is anabolic.

I'm not sure what your reading, but in my EXPERIENCE, and what I have READ weightlifting is inherently catabolic. The term catabolic means 'break down'. When you go into the gym you lift weights, you are tearing the muscle fibres down with added resistance i.e. 'break down'. The term anabolic means 'build up'. You build muscle outside the gym, in your nutrition and sleep.

Another note the point of weightlifting is not to build muscle, it is to move a certain amount of weight - hence 'weight lifting'.
    Bodybuilding is the sport of building muscle.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    wear yoga pants...works for some girls
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    SQUATS! Bonus if you do it with heavy weights.