10K Beginners Guide?

Options
Hi,

I'm planning to run my first 10k in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages in June. I'm not a runner, and whilst I can, I don't! The most I've run in a straight set is 5k but that was a while ago now, so I'm treating myself as a beginner for training for this race!

Does anyone have any good training plans?? Also, is training on a treadmil more than outside ok??

Thanks!

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Running outside is a different feel to the treadmill so try to do outside runs at least some of the time.

I'm using the Bridge to 10K app and I'm pretty happy with it.
  • _tanya
    _tanya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very exciting!

I have taken a few courses through the Running Room - Learn to Run and the Half Marathon. IMO they are the best, you have access to all the qualifed trained people you could possibly need. They have weekly runs and usually store runs you can join. That way there is never an excuse to not get your run in.

They use an interval time program to start. So the first week would be Walk a 5 minute warm up, walk 2 minutes, run 1 (repeat for 20 minutes) walk 5 min cool down. Then the next week walk 1 and run 1. They build up from there.

If you are training on the treadmill make sure to raise your incline to 2, that way it's closer to the work of running outside.

I would also recommend being fitted for shoes by a professional. The wrong shoes can mak this a painful, injury laden journey.

Good luck and have fun!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51121/10K-Training-Guide is a good set of training plans, he also has 5k, half marathon and full marathon training plans for all levels of running experience.

I will be using his 1/2 marathon novice 2 plan to train for my first 1/2 marathon.

I would rather run outside as the view is better than the TVs at my gym, and I find a burn more calories running outside so maybe it's slightly more difficult than a treadmill. I've heard that you should set the treadmill at a 1 degree incline to mimic outside running.

Personally I can't wait for all the snow and ice in NH to be completely gone so I'm only going to the gym to hit the weights.

Assuming that your 10K isn't completely flat you'll be happy that you've done some outside running as hills and uneven terrain will work different muscles than just running on a treadmill, maybe the treadmill you are using has a hill program you could try briefly...
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with the C25K plan...

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, very helpful! Will check out the links you all posted! :-) x