You may have a gluten allery and not know it

Options
2»

Replies

• matthewnelson1235
    Options
    It can be more complex than being allergic to gluten. I have had symptoms (22) for as long as I can remember. I have heard it all from doctors. Basically what my research has concluded is that you can have a number of things associated with wheat/rye/barley/spelt grains. First is Celiac desease, which causes rapid and severe damage to the small colon. Second is gluten intolerance, which causes the exact symptoms as Celiac but does not generate antibodies that are detectable in a blood test. Finally up to 23 different allergies to the grains forementioned exist, they can be tested for and contribute to disrupting the small colon. It appears to me that the small colon is like the brain of the digestive track and is responsible for extracting most of the nutrients out of the foods it breaks down. It also controls the stomachs acid levels and controls the flow of the large colon.

Diarrhea, upset stomach, cramping/pain, and heartburn that never ends are the most common signs of a gluten/wheat issue. The normal food cycle from end to end should be 40-50 hours depending on sex, age, and activity levels. I believe that what happens is that the typical frequency for gluten/wheat intake is every 6 hours with a meal and therefore the digestive track is in constant battle with it. The foods you eat do not get the nutrients extracted like they should and this is what causes the other symtoms like skin issues, migrating joint pain, muscle spasms/soreness, and fatigue.

Personaly my digestive track has been on hyperspeed forever and a solid bowel movement was not my normal. After going gluten free my system returned to normal in 48 hours, the heartburn gone, fatigue gone. Almost every single symptom is showing signs of improvement daily.

Things that used to really upset my stomach no longer do such as dairy products, red meats, and salad vegetables. Also foods that used to produce large amounts of gas such as refried beans have a much more acceptable journey through my system.

Now for the wierd. A pizza place by my house sells a gluten free pizza that I can eat and its pretty darn good. One night I had it with sausage and it jacked me up big time. After doing some research the only ingredient that was in the sausage and not in any other food I eat was BHA/BHT as a fat preservative. So I tried gluten free pizza at Dominoes with and without the sausage and guess what? The same exact experience except it felt like anaphylactic shock. It took 5 minutes and throat starting getting tight, sinuses clogging up and for the next 5 hours my gut got ripped apart. so it appears the levels of BHA/BHT are much higher in the Dominoes sausage.

Cutting wheat out of a diet is not that hard until it comes to crackers, cereal, pasta, and bread. Wheat can be replaced with many other grains. For instance no more sandwiches, since good gluten free bread is hard to find unless you make it yourself. So for me I put whatever I would put on a sandwich on gluten free crackers of which there are lots of good ones. Another thing one can do is go to food manufactures websites such a Frito Lay as an example. Frito Lay has a product listing of every product that is gluten free. Go through your pantry and pull product and read labels. Lots of people say no more ranch dressing. But my favorite is hidden valley ranch and the only one sold that is not gluten free is the homestyle sold at costco. So I buy the others or make it from the packet.

The problem is that our society is hooked on wheat. Its like heroin to an addict! Its soft, sweet, chewy and has a buttery flavor and the government has been pushing it down our throats since the major advent of food preservatives in the 50's.

The other thing that I did was add vitamin D3 1000iu, Walgreens multivitamin equal to centrum and if I need it a potassium supplement which is not that much but its better than nothing if I am close to my daily allowance. All other supplements have been ditched. I try to target foods that add to what I am low in for the day.

I hope my gluten/wheat experience helps.