How old is too young...

Options
2»

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I started getting white, silver & grey at age 19. Now at age 36, 1/3-1/2 of my hair shows one if not all 3 colors. I die it, but last time I wasn't paying attention and it grew out - I had 2" of GREY ROOTS. Solid GREY roots.... I died it again, but I am really considering letting it go all grey/white or even dying it that color. I feel you hun.... I'm tired of fighting with it. Screw what people say, I don't look my age, so maybe the grey/white hair will freak them out.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you went to a hairdresser, you'd be able to make the 'growing out' process much less blocky and painful, you could also discuss some simple toners than could make your white look intended without needing to worry about colour upkeep much at all, just an occasional rinse or something if you wanted. If you can own it, it's never too young to be who you are. Red heads are often prone to going white young.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like my red hair too much to let it go to white and mousey, which it is underneath the dye. It doesn't feel like 'me' that colour.

If you're naturally white though that could look spectacular and cool, you could colour it with crazy color really easily. You are young enough to have 'young' haircuts that would help if you felt that the white hair aged you.

A friend of mine in her mid 50s has a pixie cut - her hair is grey and white and she has strands of pink, blue and purple put in every so often. It looks amazing.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Pure silver-white hair is stunning! It's also pretty rare so if you let it go natural, you'll likely turn a lot of heads (booo pun). If you're comfortable with that I say go for it!!! Silver-white runs in my family but I didn't get the gene, hmph.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think if you like it, go for it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I'd let it go white but then put crazy colored streaks in it. Mine is brown with pink and blue streaks right now though :wink:

As for "too young", the men in my family all went white around 15-18, but then my grandma married a Dutch man and his hair genes took control (Grandpa is now 78 will barely any gray and no receding hairline, looks like my dad, uncle, and male cousins will be the same). I will be dying my grey hairs until the day I die, but solid white is way cooler than that. If you think you can rock the style, go for it!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I agree with the blonde streaks for the transition.. but I also think that the poster above is onto something - go white with some crazy highlights sometimes! haha

There's a woman I know, and her hair was jet-black. She was diagnosed with breast cancer, had chemo, lost all of her hair (she's healthy now, thankfully!!), and when it grew back, it was silver. She looks AMAZING. I prefer her silver over her natural color.

I bet you'd look stunning with white hair!!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't bother me, but then again, my hair started greying when I was in my late teens.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    The growing out phase also bothers me, should I decide to just let it go. I'd look really unkempt I think, and being a corporate designer, I have to maintain my appearance for meeting with clients. I have thought about using temp dyes while it grows out though...

And I forgot about Storm- yeah that was pretty hot!

You could just go to a salon and have the color stripped from your hair and it will be back to it's natural color. Then you don't have to worry about growing it out. :smile:

ETA: I had to do that when I went to a salon to get funky red and orange streaks put in. I had residue from previous box dyes I had used and the stylist needed to clean all that out before she could put the colors in. So she had to strip all the residue from past dyes out and put my hair back to it's original color.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'm red head so I know sooner or later i'll be white. I have an uncle that's pushing 60 and he is still red, we aren't genetically related but gives me hope anyway.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also started noticing white hair when I was 18. Now, at 35, I suppose it is about 40% white. But, I put henna in it and turned the white red (I do not recommend that), and I had a hairdresser put brown over top that to make it more natural and am waiting for that to grow out. I'm not ready for white hair just yet. I look young for my age and want to keep it that way for now. But, once all the hair is white I think it will look nice to grow it out. When the red grows out, I plan to leave some of the white and put a little bit of highlights and lowlights onto some of the white hair to blend it in naturally with minimal hair dye and minimal roots contrast when growing. I think it all depends on the individual.

This profile photo is from right before I put the henna in. So, the white really looked like blond highlights.
  • Dragongurl30
    Options
    I have a conundrum. I have had white hair since I was 17 years old. Not gray- white. Not just a few strands, almost my entire head. My father had a full head of white hair at 18. Mine started changing when I was 16, so I started coloring it. My color prior to that was a deep red auburn. I'm extremely grateful that hair color has come a long way in looking more natural (though I do go through phases where I'll go crazy with purple or something), but I'm wondering when would be a good age to just let it go? I'm 34- is that too young to be walking around with white hair? It's not that it makes me look old- it's really silky and soft. I stopped dying it when I was pregnant, and was pretty shocked at how pretty it was just straight white. But it also looked kind of weird.

What are your thoughts? Ladies, do you color your hair? And if so, when do you think you'll let it go natural? And men, would you find a younger woman with white hair attractive or a bit off-putting?

That would probably be up to you and how you feel about it and how you feel it makes you look. Everyone is different when it comes to coloring hair. My 80 year old grandmother still dyes her hair.
  • housemamma
    housemamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have said that when I reach 50 I will stop dying my hair. (However, I think that will never happen.) I have ugly grey, wirey hair and am really pale so not the best look for me. However, I think silver hair is awsome and would rock that in a minute!

So I think it depends on your natural shade of grey and your skin tone. Also seems like a modern hair style helps with the look.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 34 and been going gray since high school. I've been coloring since I was 18. Like you, I let it grow out when I was pregnant, but at 25 and 5 months pregnant, some guy mistook me for my HUSBANDS'S MOTHER! :noway: I vowed never to grow it out again. Of course, that was nearly 10 years ago, and I'm sick of coloring! I decided last year to grow it out. In a few months, I'll cut my hair ultra short, much to the chagrin of friends and family as I have had long hair forever. I don't know if I will really be able to embrace it at this age, but I'm going to try. If I don't like it though, I will start dying it blond because that is easier to maintain.

I don't know. I'm hoping I won't look like a grandma. :embarassed:
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    18, just be who y ou are :)
  • PopCorn_Said
    Options
    Natural is always better, specially if YOU like it.

I say go for it!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I think it's hot to see a beautiful young woman with white hair.
    bride-with-white-hair-12-2.jpg:w156h156

:heart:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm a red-head who, in the past 8 years, has gradually started to become platinum blonde. My "grey" is pretty - people are always commenting on it. White hair sounds gorgeous - and it's not something you see very often - especially not natural. I bet you'd be shocked at how many comments you get on it. Try it for awhile. You may find you like it.

On a weird side note - my eyes started losing color at the same time my hair started lightening. From dark brown, they're going blue on the outside, working in (like a bullseye) to taking over the dark brown.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    men, would you find a younger woman with white hair attractive or a bit off-putting?

If I am into her, she could be bald.

But white hair would be sexy.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of white in my hair since my early 20's. Up until a few months ago, I dyed my hair dark auburn. I finally let go and have now lightened my hair to a very light "sun" blonde. It blends much better with the whites I have and looks trendy, like I'm not trying to cover up grey/white, but going platnum. ;)