Leg cramps

Options
sindyb9
sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
Does anyone know of a good stretching exercise for shins and calves? I just started two weeks ago walking again and when I walk more than 15 min I get a horrible cramp in my calve that wont go away.
I continue my walk but very painful.
Any suggestions.

Replies

• sindyb9
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good stretching exercise for shins and calves? I just started two weeks ago walking again and when I walk more than 15 min I get a horrible cramp in my calve that wont go away.
    I continue my walk but very painful.
    Any suggestions.
  • pfisher
    pfisher Posts: 28
    Options
    I find just standing on a small ledge ( like a curb) and have your heels hang off and just raise up and down. Keep doing it and over time they will get stronger.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I find just standing on a small ledge ( like a curb) and have your heels hang off and just raise up and down. Keep doing it and over time they will get stronger.

Also, make sure you are drinking enough water
  • sindyb9
    Options
    Thank you I will try that, and I am trying to drink more water instead of coffee.
  • mkklutts
    mkklutts Posts: 13
    Options
    Also, if it is more of a pain instead of a cramp, and it feels closer to the bone than in the muscle; it may be shin splints. Ice can help this. This unfortunately can take awhile to heal, but is easy to get when you first start out, or after a long break from exercise.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    bananas! other dancers recommended bananas for my feet cramps, i guess potassium is supposed to help. i've noticed a big difference, but i don't know how scientifically accurate that is...
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options

no bananas! guess its a placebo effect:embarassed:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I used to get cramps all the time when I swam. For about 12 years now, I've been taking a potassium pill. I can tell the difference. Now if I forget to take it, it sucks and the back of my leg cramps
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I take vitamines, but sometimes its not enough, for extra potassium, I drink sugar free jello, drink chicken broth and drink sugar free organic juices and I think someone mentioned earlier, fruit, "bananas"!!!

I like banana taste but can't stand the texture, so I mash them up in oatmeal or cereal or down one with juice....
  • sindyb9
    Options

ok that was very good I dont think it is a cramp it only happens when I do my walking and like ten min. into it. I will try stretching it out.

Thanks for the great link. It helped a lot.
  • sindyb9
    Options
    I take vitamines, but sometimes its not enough, for extra potassium, I drink sugar free jello, drink chicken broth and drink sugar free organic juices and I think someone mentioned earlier, fruit, "bananas"!!!

I like banana taste but can't stand the texture, so I mash them up in oatmeal or cereal or down one with juice....

I love banana's but they give me pains in my stomach. So I take vitamines.

Thank you everyone for all the support I will let you know how it works out.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    http://www.power-systems.com/s-67-foam-rollers.aspx?gclid=CMOdraiisJICFQQIFQodhDNgRA

foam rollers. The REALLY help lengthen the muscles in the legs. Seriously, they work on shin splints, calves, quads, hammi's, hip flexors, and lower back. They will get rid of everything from tight hami's to mild shin splints in days. And no, I don't work for a foam roller company. My wife, who is at the gym every day, got me one for x-mas, I was like, what's this for? And she said, just check the instructions, and try a few out, well, I no longer have tight hamstrings or tight shins! Worked like a dream. If the problem is tight muscles, this works.

NOTE: this isn't a pre-workout streching tool, its a therapy tool. I.E. you use this alone, not before or after you work out.