One day of bad eating wont effect you....

.... OH YES IT DOES!...

I always seem to learn the hard way... ya work so hard to lose a couple pounds and over one day of badness that overpowers the goodness of the week puts me on the "wall of shame" -- i'm not saying dont "over indulge once in a while" but people like myself... goes over over board and it ruins everything...

For instance... Sunday i did so great til after dinner.. then it was RUINED... them 2lbs i loss during the week... i busted my hump working out and when i weighed myself today it reappeared... This week i'll work even harder!!!!!

Input?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Unless you ate 7000 calories over your maintenance number you didn't gain 2 lbs of fat in one day. You may have eaten too much salt and be retaining water, you may have some extra food in your gut or it may just be a freaky fluctuation which we all have but you didn't undo all your work and gain 2 lbs of fat in one day.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Did you eat 7000 cals above your maintance between Sunday and today? Unless you didn't track properly you only consumed about 1000 calories over your daily goal... which most likely isn't even close to your maintance calories.

One day of bad eating will not ruin your fat loss progress. Don't weight so close after eating higher cals or more crap foods than normal as you gain water weight.

One day will not ruin your progress... you gain water weight and that's it. You did not gain fat unless you ate at least 7000 calories above your maintance calories which would be well above the calorie goal you have daily. Your maintance calories would be well over 2000 calories most likely... you eat 1200 a day. Just eating that little can harm your real progress over time.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    I dont think i ate 7,000 thats alot but yesterdays eating didnt help me either... in which im working out today even though i'm sick.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,582 Member
    Another vote here for "you're eating too little" and "retaining water."
    I dont think i ate 7,000 thats alot but yesterdays eating didnt help me either... in which im working out today even though i'm sick.

so rest. if you're in the gym trying to burn off the 2lbs that you think you gained.. while you're sick.. you're just gonna feel worse.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    The 3 posters above me already said what I was going to say.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member

According to your diary you were above your daily goal by 1000 calories between Saturday and this morning. With a daily goal of only 1200 you are most likely still consuming much less than your maintance calories which mean you did not gain fat.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    If you're sick, your body is going to hang on to all the nutrients it thinks it will need.

What height are you? You're 128 pounds and aiming for 120, si that right?
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    I agree with the two posts above. I have been tracking my weight every day to see the fluctuations. I used to freak out a little every time the scale went up at all, but now I am able to see trends and how I might lose 2 pounds then gain back 1/2 then lose a bit. It is most likely water retention because foods that people indulge on are usually full of sodium and processed. I have had a lot of luck with cutting out processed foods for the most part. I eat mostly whole fruits, veggies, and beans with brown rice and quinoa. This has taken me a long time to get to, but I love it!

I hope that your bad eating day doesn't discourage you because tomorrow is a new day! :)
  • ulmernd
    ulmernd Posts: 4
    I don't think it necessarily effects you that way when you have a bad day of eating. When I have a treat day, I usually just feel like crap the next day and end up having a not so great workout.
  • meganbook
    meganbook Posts: 71
    I am the queen of bad over eating days. At least once a weekend I binge drink heavy beers and usually make poor food decisions after that. But I am squeaky clean the whole week while doing Insanity/P90x. One day WILL NOT ruin your progress. Does my weight fluctuate after a weekend? Definitely. Is it back down after a few days of being back on schedule? Every time. You absolutely did not gain 2 lbs from one after dinner pig out session. Drink lots of water, do a little more cardio if it makes you feel better, an you'll be a-ok.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Unless you ate 7000 calories over your maintenance number you didn't gain 2 lbs of fat in one day. You may have eaten too much salt and be retaining water, you may have some extra food in your gut or it may just be a freaky fluctuation which we all have but you didn't undo all your work and gain 2 lbs of fat in one day.
    this, my money on water weight
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I once "gained" 8 pounds overnight after a particularly salty fettuccine alfredo with shrimp. It's water weight and temporary.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    what-do-you-see.png
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    I had a day on Sunday as well. It was Mothering Sunday here in the UK and we went out for lunch. Chinese Buffet. I went in knowing I was going to splurge, but I also knew that this time when I splurged it would be different. I would go right back to eating within my calories the next day. In the past...that wouldn't happen. I also knew that if I stepped on the scale I would see a gain...but that it would be water from all the salty Chinese food. Out of curiosity, I stepped on the scale Monday morning and there was a 4 pound jump. I didn't freak out because I knew that there was not a chance that I gained 4 pounds in one day.
    Honestly...the scale can play horribly with your mind if you let it...DON'T LET IT!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

It's water weight, either from carb replenishment or sodium, not fat.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    With my flucutuation it says i'm 130 i was 128 the other day... i do drink alot of water... and i have upped my fruits & veggies.

I'm not starving myself (i love food too much) Sunday i may have missed a couple things on my diary but its nowhere near 7,000 calories.

I'm aiming for 122-123
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Yep. I dropped two pounds two weeks ago, got cocky and ate like a fool the weekend after, and gained it right back. Twas a very sad day. Fortunately, I'm learning how to focus less on the scale and more on my measurements. So, I'm not too heartbroken about it. The problem is I got myself hooked on sugar again. CURSE YOU, SUGAR! I need to give it up again...but when...
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Thank you for sharing your stories we all have our weak points and fighting the same battle.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    I promise that unless you ate 7,000 ish calories you didn't actually gain two pounds. The scale will fluctuate throughout the day- all day, every day- so don't let it make you think that's what really happened. Start eating good again and you'll discover it falls right back off.

Primse example: I was in Las Vegas for a week then in Tulsa for a black tie fundraiser (which means nice dinner). I came back home and weighed 126 (left weighing 120). When I got back home it was also that TOM. After TOM left and I was eating right again I immediately went back down to around 122, and I tend to fluctuate between 120-123. So.... trust me. You're fine.