women: whats going on regarding TOM?

mrsw510
mrsw510 Posts: 169
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
From everything I have heard generally women have a much harder time losing weight during their TOM. I am starting to see that I am the opposite. My last TOM I lost 4 lbs (followed by 0 lb, 0lb, 2lb in the weeks following) and then this week while on TOM I lost 5 lbs. Anyone know why this might be? I don't want to hit a plateau like after last month when I had a really big week so I am hoping that I can figure this out.

Replies

• Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    I wouldn't worry about it, be glad you're opposite! Everyone is different. While I can't lost during TOM, I lose the most the week before it. Most people gain during that time, or the ones I've heard of do anyway. I'm not too concerned, my body has been like that for a WHILE now and I've seen success. (I'd see even more if I could get weekend over-eating straightened out!) Congrats on the 5 pound loss!
  • Most women crave sweets or carbs while TOMMING, which in turn makes you retain water.. Your body works over time on TOM, hormone flares make you burn more calories..so if you don't eat chocolate and salty treats while TOMMING, that could explain it. Also you lose 7 lbs in 4 weeks.. that's good!!!!!!!!! Don'tworry about not losing weight those two weeks as long as you are on top of it and still doing what you need to do.

I am 2 lbs heavier the entire time I'm toming.. I weighed myself yesterday morning at 216.4 (2.4 lbs MORE than last week). Iweighed myself this morning after my TOM ended and I'm down to213.8.. I peed so much yesterday, I know it was water weight.. I lose the most weight the week AFTER Tom, usually 3-4 lbs.. looking forward to next weigh in that's for sure! =)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    I noticed I was a loser right before my TOM also. Like I'd gain a couple days prior, then the day before it'd drop off. Guess it was my body letting all the water go?

What you eat before your TOM can affect it. Like if you crave salty stuff, you'll retain water, which could explain the 2lb gain the week before.

Also, be happy that the trend is down. It's not going to come off overnight. Weight loss is a progression. Don't let TOM get you down!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Somebody told me recently that during our TOM we actually burn 500 calories more a day for a few days. I don't know if this is true or not, but let's pretend like it is. :-)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I actually gain the week before. This is probably the darned salt craving I can't seem to stop. Three days into it I usually lose the water weight plus another pound or 2. Be glad you're not effected by water retention. It really sucks. I also have fibroids though so I do believe that's part of the bloating problem.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I weigh the most just before my menses but after it begins I start to lose weighin my least right after. Sodium is my downfall and I crave salty foods just before so I know that I retain water.

The movie title, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly could be applied to the Endocrine System. :laugh:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Honestly I never attribute anything to TOM, but if I gain weight someone will always say "well isn't it TOM? Isn't it normal to gain weight?"
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    I've always wondered if you're supposed to drink more or something because I always gain a CRAZY amount on my period and most of the time it all drops off but sometimes 1 or 2 of the lbs stay with me!! I don't get it but then again I've never been commited like I am now so I could have just been eating more than I thought I was.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    I typically use 3-4 pounds right before, but then gain during.....
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    I typically use 3-4 pounds right before, but then gain during.....
This discussion has been closed.