Too much fat,even from good source,can it be bad??

Options
2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP default macros then you are eating TOO LITTLE fat. Really. By all means, go over. Even better, adjust your own macros to get at least 50% of your calories from fat. I have my set at 70% but I try for 80%. I do it for my HEALTH.

No, healthy fats are not bad, in any amount. The problem is with what the general public has been led to believe are "healthy" fats. Highly refined vegetable oils have only been in the human diet for a very short time. I do NOT think they are "heart healthy" and there is rising evidence that they may be carcinogenic (that research is NOT new, just ignored). But food processors can make bold claims that are unfounded in science, such as Becel claiming how their margarine will fend off heart disease. No.

Do what works for you. For me, my high fat diet has been nothing short of miraculous in regards to eliminating disease and stimulating fat loss.

Do some indepth research into how fat works in the body, and about the types of fat (natural saturated fat are actually the healthiest), rather than just trusting government and food industry advice. They've built their argument on very ambiguous research and ignored a vast amount of other research.

Not bad in any amount eh? Care to substantiate that?

Yeah, based on myself and my Inuit neighbours. Other than that, do your own research and experimentation.

You have a problem with anything and everything I say since I came to MFP last August. I have a right to my opinion and to share my personal experiences. I mostly avoid the forums these days (and refrain from reading follow up comments) because you, and a few others, are just waiting to jump on those of us who don't follow the SAD diet. Get lost.

I'm trying to do my part to end the fat phobia so that people might get HEALTHIER. What's your motivation to always cut me down? Don't answer that, because I really don't care.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a little question,I hope someone can help out.I always eat more fat than I should according to my macros.Its mainly from olive oil,nuts...but I still wonder if I should cut out a bit.Any ideas or advices?
    Well good fats(HDL) decrease bad fats(LDL) so your good there. But if your fat calories make you go over on your daily calorie goals than that's not good.

If you notice your diet has a higher fat % from good fats then increase that macro while decreasing another macro that you are always short on.
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP default macros then you are eating TOO LITTLE fat. Really. By all means, go over. Even better, adjust your own macros to get at least 50% of your calories from fat. I have my set at 70% but I try for 80%. I do it for my HEALTH.

No, healthy fats are not bad, in any amount. The problem is with what the general public has been led to believe are "healthy" fats. Highly refined vegetable oils have only been in the human diet for a very short time. I do NOT think they are "heart healthy" and there is rising evidence that they may be carcinogenic (that research is NOT new, just ignored). But food processors can make bold claims that are unfounded in science, such as Becel claiming how their margarine will fend off heart disease. No.

Do what works for you. For me, my high fat diet has been nothing short of miraculous in regards to eliminating disease and stimulating fat loss.

Do some indepth research into how fat works in the body, and about the types of fat (natural saturated fat are actually the healthiest), rather than just trusting government and food industry advice. They've built their argument on very ambiguous research and ignored a vast amount of other research.

Yeah, based on myself and my Inuit neighbours. Other than that, do your own research and experimentation.

You have a problem with anything and everything I say since I came to MFP last August. I have a right to my opinion and to share my personal experiences. I mostly avoid the forums these days (and refrain from reading follow up comments) because you, and a few others, are just waiting to jump on those of us who don't follow the SAD diet. Get lost.

I'm trying to do my part to end the fat phobia so that people might get HEALTHIER. What's your motivation to always cut me down? Don't answer that, because I really don't care.

You alright? You do sound a wee bit stressed out.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You're probably okay, but hitting your macros should be a daily goal.

You can adjust your macros to whatever your target it. Mine are not the same as they were when I first joined the site.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

You alright? You do sound a wee bit stressed out.

Don't derail thread. PM if you really want to know her business out side of the topic. Have some respect for OP's thread.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything can be bad. There have actually been cases of people dying from drinking too much water.

I am quite sure my almonds are not planning to kill me any time soon :laugh: My fat intake fits my calories, just not my macros, so I am not sure if I should cut down a bit.

Change your macros. My Home-->Goals-->Change Goals.

I try to eat Primal or very close to it, so I've adjusted my carb target to 100g per day and correspondingly increased protein and fat targets.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I have an issue when you make ludicrous statements, such as "good" fats are not bad in any amount. And please link me where I've recommenced the SAD diet anywhere

Maybe up your carbs just a a tad
    Post hoc analysis showed that at week 52 the scores on the POMS subscales of anger-hostility (P = .006), confusion-bewilderment (P = .02), and depression-dejection (P = .05) and the TMDS score (P = .001) were significantly lower in the LF group than in the LC group

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/169/20/1873#IOI90085F2
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    it's very unlikely you'd be getting too much fat, if it's all coming from good sources. dietary fat (as long as healthy fats) =/= body fat