What is your opinion?

Options
I am 150 lbs, 5'4' (60 inches), and I am active. Though it seems that I am overweight, I have a little pudge on my stomach that all women have. I have concidered taking water pills but I don't think that is the way to go. What do you think that I should do-besides cardio- to help me loose that extra weight? By the way, when I jog or run on the treadmill, I use a sweat suit that induces a LOT of sweating.

Replies

• AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 150 lbs, 5'4' (60 inches), and I am active. Though it seems that I am overweight, I have a little pudge on my stomach that all women have. I have concidered taking water pills but I don't think that is the way to go. What do you think that I should do-besides cardio- to help me loose that extra weight? By the way, when I jog or run on the treadmill, I use a sweat suit that induces a LOT of sweating.

Strength training.
    5'4 = 64 inches
    x
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet would be to focus on toning. The cardio is great but if you gear your workout sessions to strength training and eating healthy foods high in fiber, you can say goodbye to your little pudge. Don't do the water pills or sweat bags when you work out, it's not worth it. Women naturally retain more water than men, just try to cut your sodium intake because salt retains water. :smile:
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    I defo recommend some sort of interval or circuit training! These are excellent ways to tone and blast fat from problem areas! I have just invested in the 30 Day Shred DVD by Jillian Michaels...I think you can watch Level 1 on You Tube for FREE to try it out? I am aching from my first few sessions, but it really does seem to offer a full body work out, inc. abs!

There are lots of other DVD's out there they are specifically targetting belly fat! :-) But getting the heart rate up for short bursts is the best method.......
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Weights! They're a lot more fun than you might think!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I actually think you shouldn't do cardio, at least not much of it.

Get your cals honed in and have a decent balance between your macros. After that, I'd lift 3-4 times a week and do cardio 1-2 times per week (more often if you enjoy HIIT).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Add some type of resistance exercises - weights, body weight, resistance bands, etc. Also, you might try adding a few HIIT workouts to your cardio. Not only does HIIT burn more calories, it makes the longer cardio workouts easier.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    weights, eating correctly for your activity level
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    all women do not have pudge on their stomach. Clean up your diet, eat less and work harder.

and stop wearing that sweatsuit. Your profuse sweating due to overclothing your body may be preventing you from working hard (because you think sweating means you are working hard enough, it doesnt)
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Add in some weight and resistance training. You will be surprised how much it can change your body :) and watch your sodium, that can also help the fluctuations from water weight.

For example, I have 4-5 workout days a week. I do 3-4 of those days with weight and resistance training, and 1-2 with cardio. It has done wonders for my body.

So I would highly recommend straying away from your comfort zone cardio :)

And don't forget rest and recovery days! Those are just as important for your body as workout days (if not more important sometimes)!

I also have my sodium set to 2000mg a day. AHA recommends no more than 2300mg a day, so I keep it low so if I go over I am more likely to stay under 2300
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sweating doesn't indicate number of calories burned or how hard you're working out. Wearing a sauna suit is pretty uncomfortable and pointless unless you're in some sort of competitive sport where you need to quickly cut weight for a weigh in or something. I'd ditch that, and also cut down on steady state cardio. In place of those things, you could look into metabolic conditioning workouts, or HIIT, Tabata, whatever. Something that isn't just a steady pace.

In addition to those changes, I'd take up strength training as it will help you keep whatever muscle you've got whilst you lose fat. You'll need to eat at a moderate caloric deficit to lose fat. That is what the bulge is on your tummy--fat. To lose that, you need to just generally lose fat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1 other point...

at 19 yrs old, make sure you have a reasonable and healthy view of yourself. Self-image problems are rampant and often the cause of unrealistic goals.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Resistance training. Also lose the water pills and the sweat suit. Good luck!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    There is a number of things others will probably touch upon and i hope do because they are the most important.. weight training, cardio, eating better, but also know that dehydration will bloat the stomach. Stay hydrated. Water is necessary for the body and sweating it out and not replacing is dangerous. Plus, being dehydrated has so many physical negatives... i'm at my goal weight and slacked a little w/ drinking water lately and my tummy was bloated because of retaining water due to dehydration (regular dehydration not like hospital level... just lazy level of not getting up to refil water bottle throughout day). After a few days of ensuring proper consumption it went back down to normal. Sweating extra will rid some toxins but sweating will mainly cause loss of water weight... burning more cals than consumed is key to weightloss (among moderation, healthy choices, etc)
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree on the resistance training. I started doing it again about 5 weeks ago and can really see a difference. You can do cardio all day long but doing resistance will help you firm up all over. I do a full body circuit 2-3x/wk. Start doing it and give it about 4-6 weeks and you'll see a difference. :happy: