In general, how long until weightloss becomes noticeable?

Options
I know this can vary from person to person, but what's everyone general estimate? If it's a strict diet with 5 days a week of exercise, how long until you can notice a difference?

Replies

• BrookeSarge
    Options
    4 Years ago when I started working out, All I did was run from June- Late August. I lost 20 lbs but it was that noticeable. Then I start weight training. About 6 months after that I started to see a small bit of definition. Then After a year of consistency I saw the results, but it's worth the wait! It only gets better and better!

There's a quote
    "You didn't gain weight over night, so don't expect to get skinny overnight"

Keep up consistency!! (:
    Good Luck xxx
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I would suggest checking out the Success area of the forums... there are lots of people that show before & after for 20 lbs or less and it is amazing how much of a difference there is. I've gone down about a size and a half and I don't think anyone has noticed but I do have a ways to go still. I think it's also easier for people that don't see you as often to notice since it's so gradual those around you don't see it coming off until there is a bigger loss.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your beginning size some, too. I've lost 8.4% of my body weight since January 1, nine weeks. For me, there is a HUGE difference. For me, it's only been 10 pounds, but I had to work very hard for those because I can only lose about .5 pounds a week at my starting size. That same amount on a larger person may feel negligible as part of the larger goal. Exercising and toning have made a big difference. I feel smaller now than I did before at this same weight because I'm more toned now. I was just on the high end of my healthy weight range anyway, so hardly anyone noticed I'd gained but me and my pants! LOL. Now, I need new clothes. I'm back into half of the jeans I put away last fall that hurt my belly to wear.
    I started with just walking at least 15 minutes per day, no excuses.

Already, I can run a 5K several times a week ( I've trained with C25K several times before, so progress went fast). I've done a DVD a day or two a week, or some 8 minute shaping videos if I'm too sore to do anything else.

My husband noticed body changes in me in only one month. No one else has, but that's okay with me...it's mainly for me and him. Instead of a 2"-3" belly overhang, I have about 1" left to contend with through diet and exercise. That's the biggest change for me! I am so happy. My legs and glutes are a lot more toned very fast...and those support a lot of calorie burn the rest of the day. I want stronger arms, inner thighs, and a belly in better shape...so on for the last leg of this pre-summer training journey! Best of luck!
  • lej91
    lej91 Posts: 12
    Options
    Personally, I feel a difference about every -5lbs. I have a significant amount of weight to lose though, so this may not be as physically noticeable as in some people but I feel it in how my clothes fit, how my body moves and little things about the structure of my body emerging (I got collarbones! lol). So for me it's about every three weeks or so that I feel a little different.

In general though, I think people notice weight loss on others about every -10lbs. It's significant enough for the weight loss to affect your face. So ballpark - a month? I think that's when you can start expecting the comments :)
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much weight you have to lose. If you have a lot to lose its going to take a lot to make a real difference. If you have say 30 lbs or less it doesn't take but maybe 5-10 lbs to notice it.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Other people started to notice around 15-20lb gone. I do take my measurements and I know they're changing, but mergh, sometimes I don't feel I look any different. :/
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    When I was exercising 5-7 days a week and calorie counting, it seriously took a 30-lb loss to see a difference!!! I'm also 5'11 and have a large frame, so people literally thought I had lost 5-10lbs when I really lost 30.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you lose and how tall you are. I lost 18 pounds and nobody noticed. And I compared before and after pictures of myself in a bathing suit and didn't think I looked much different. But I'm 5'10 so that weight is distributed over a long body. I did notice in my clothes though; I went from a size 10 jean to a size 6.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Since last month I have lost 6 pounds, and someone over the weekend noticed... I think it really depends on how your body loses. He noticed it in my face.

For me, I still don't really see it, but then I put on clothes and notice they are fitting differently, that is how I really see the difference. One of the happiest days of my life was when I went to put on my size 22 pants (and they HAD been really snug) and they came down (all the way down) after I buttoned and zipped them :laugh:
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 20 pounds and everyone says they notice a difference, but I don't really see it. I know I'm loosing inches because none of my old clothes fit anymore and I've had to get rid of everything that was a 38, and now even my 36s are loose :-) but when I look in the mirror I still see the fat kid. I don't seem to loose too much from my stomach so I might take up weight lifting for more toning and definition, I know that can make the weight lost more noticeable, but I need to afford the gym first :P

Probably every 5-10 pounds, or I'm sure when you loose 4%-5% of your body weight it's noticeable. Definitely after 20. It does really depend on your frame and starting weight, 10 pounds when you started at 130 and are 5'4" is going to be a bigger difference than starting at 210 and 5'11".
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I want to share this:

Begin lifting weights. Eating the right number of calories for you will cause you to lose fat. And that's GREAT! But if you start now, lifting weights, you will also strengthen and harden up the muscles that will be revealed as your layers of fat shrink. When you get closer to your goal weight, you'll like what you see a LOT more if you begin lifting now.

I did it the hard way, lost almost all of my excess fat, and then learned that it takes lifting to achieve the look I wanted. I wish I had begun lifting sooner.

Other benefits of lifting: cause your bones to be stronger, more resistant to breaking when you are older. Also, muscles use up energy just by existing. That means you get to eat more, and still maintain your sleek shape :)

LIFT!!!!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and even 5 pounds makes a difference for me (gain or lose). My husband noticed within a couple weeks when I lost 5 pounds. No one at work has said anything yet.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I had to lose 50 pounds before people started noticing.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I lost some weight very slowly and no one noticed (not even me it was only because I weighed myself in Jan I found out I lost 10lbs over about 9-12 months lol)

Then from Jan- Feb I lost another 9lb(ish) again no one really noticed as I was still wearing the same clothes as before... Then it happened... 50th birthday fancy dress party... I went as Jessica Rabbit from Who Framed Roger Rabbit and EVERYONE commented on my weight, now I have bought all smaller sizes it is getting noticed a lot more.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose. I've lost 20 lb. I still want to lose 63. I don't think it's very noticeable yet. I notice it because I pretty much exercise in front of a mirror so I see I've lost some hips and some belly, but there's no way someone who only sees me occasionally would notice.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    starting at 280 pounds I noticed within a month I dropped about 14 pounds, and my legs and arms and neck got small first
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds before anyone said anything.just depends on your body type
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'll echo everyone else. If you start out with a lot to lose ( I had @80 lbs) it will take longer for it to be obvious. I think for me it took about 30 lbs. Also if you are still wearing the same size clothes it will take longer for people to see a difference because you won't look much smaller when you're hiding under loose clothes. As soon as I bought a new fitted shirt I got comments. Also it will depend on where you lose from..I lose all over so there wasn't any immediate result but for someone who loses from the face it may be a lot sooner.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like this quote!

'It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends and family, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world'

=)
  • Awoolf20
    Awoolf20 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I am just becoming very impatient and don't want to get disheartened!