Alternatives to weight training

Options
Hi, I'm a 19year old girl looking to incorporate strength training in to a new fitness programme.

I've lost my way a bit recently due to illness and emotional pressures so I am looking to renew my fitness programme this easter and get back my ideal BF%.

I was wondering if yoga/pilates would be a good way of doing this? I'm not keen on the idea of weight lifting, plus gym is expensive and I love exercise class environments and need someone there to help me learn how to do things.

Thank you in advance for your advice! :smile:

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 19year old girl looking to incorporate strength training in to a new fitness programme.

I've lost my way a bit recently due to illness and emotional pressures so I am looking to renew my fitness programme this easter and get back my ideal BF%.

I was wondering if yoga/pilates would be a good way of doing this? I'm not keen on the idea of weight lifting, plus gym is expensive and I love exercise class environments and need someone there to help me learn how to do things.

Thank you in advance for your advice! :smile:

Whatever program you will do consistently is the best for you. That being said, whether your goal is to look good, feel good or perform well, weight lifting will be the most important training variable.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Both Yoga and Pilates are good. You might also look at other body weight/body resistance type callesthenic training like crossfit, p90x, turbulance training, insanity, etc. To me, they all are more fun than pushing metal in a gym, and do better to include both cardio and strength training.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yoga also has some good to great mental benefits that may aid you as you recover from the illness and emotional pressures you spoke of. It is a good start and likely will meet all your present goals. Some time in the future you may want to expand your workouts but again, I think yoga would be a good start.