Eggplant

amberc1982
amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
I just bought a couple eggplants. Does anyone have any good recipes for eggplants?

Replies

• suprjewels
    suprjewels Posts: 507
    I slice mine and put butter and nutmeg on it. then I just put it in a pan and cook til soft. I love it! Skin and all! I hope you and joy. It's simple and delicious
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    I cook slices of it in a pan until soft and then plate it. (You can also season with garlic or italian seasoning for flavor.) Then top it with spaghetti/tomato sauce of your choice (I make mine). Then while still hot, top with a little parmesan cheese or mozarella cheese. I love eggplant parmesan but this way is a little healthier and lighter without the fried breading on the eggplant or the pasta it's usually served with.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    We like to slice ours, dip them in egg and drag them through wheat germ. Bake until soft, then plate it. Pour some spaghetti sauce over the top, sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella or parmesan cheese. Yummmmmm...

What I do when I buy something new, is just google recipies for it. I've learned how to cook mahi mahi and salmon that way. Sounds dumb, but it's how I figured out how to eat a kumquat as well.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Ha ha ha, Dani and I must have been typing at the same time, same ideas....
  • laughingdani
    Ha ha ha, Dani and I must have been typing at the same time, same ideas....
    :laugh: Yeah I guess we were typing at the same time. I will have to try your recipe pettmybunny. I haven't used wheat germ before so I will try it out. Sounds good!
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Eggplant is Aubergine in the UK...

I had a GORGEOUS meal at Strada a few months ago.

Rigatoni Siciliana
    Roasted aubergines, garlic and basil in a cherry tomato sauce finished with ricotta cheese.
    That's served over penne pasta.

It was the most amazing meal I've had out. I tried to re-create it with some success. Ah it was so nice.
    http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php?eggplant=1749 <<< there's a recipe for it
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    I don't know the calorie info but hear is a web sit you can put it all in to figure it out http://caloriecount.about.com/

Eggplant pasta
    Ingredients

* 2 medium-large eggplants
    * Kosher salt, for purging
    * 4 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
    * 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes
    * 4 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    * 1/2 cup cream
    * 4 tablespoons basil chiffonade
    * 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    * Freshly ground pepper

Directions

Peel each eggplant leaving 1-inch of skin at the top and bottom unpeeled. Slice the eggplant thinly lengthwise, about 1/4-inch thick. Evenly coat each slice with the salt and purge on a sheet pan fitted with a rack for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and roll in paper towels to dry. Slice the pieces into thin strips to resemble pasta.

In a large saute pan heat the oil. Add the garlic and chili flakes and toast. Add the eggplant "pasta" and toss to coat. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cream and increase heat to thicken sauce. Finally add the basil and Parmesan and toss to combine. Season with pepper, no salt needed as the eggplant will have residual salt from the purge. Serve immediately.

eggplant steak
    Ingredients

* 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    * 1/4 cup thick steak sauce
    * 1/2 cup olive oil
    * 2 tablespoon honey
    * 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
    * Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
    * 8 (1/2-inch) eggplant slices, purged with salt
    * 1 cup grated Parmesan
    * 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional

Directions

In a small bowl whisk together the Worcestershire, steak sauce, olive oil, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Pat your eggplant dry with paper towels. With a pastry brush apply the sauce to both sides of the eggplant. Place eggplant rounds onto a sheet tray fitted with a rack. Place the tray under the broiler for until eggplant is nicely browned, approximately 2 minutes. Turn slices over and place back under broiler to brown the other side. Generously sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan over all of the slices. Place back under the broiler for 1 minute to nicely brown the cheese. Serve plain or sprinkle with freshly chopped herbs.

baba ghannouj
    Ingredients

* 1 eggplant
    * 2 cloves garlic
    * 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
    * 2 tablespoons tahini
    * 1/2 bunch parsley, leaves only
    * Salt and pepper

Directions

Pierce some holes in the skin of the eggplant (to avoid explosion) and grill over medium-high heat turning every 7 minutes, until the skin is blackened and the body is nice and soft. Total time for grilling is about 30 minutes. If you do not have a grill you can roast your eggplant in a 375 degree F oven for about 30 minutes.

Remove eggplant from the grill and let cool.

Once the eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel away the skin and discard. Place the eggplant flesh in a colander and drain for 10 minutes. In a food processor, combine garlic, lemon juice, tahini and parsley and pulse to combine. Add the eggplant flesh. Season with salt and pepper and pulse to combine. Adjust the flavor with more Tahini or lemon juice if you prefer. If it's bitter, some sugar or honey will help. Research shows that the white variety of plant is sweeter in flavor.
  • laughingdani
    Lasagna with diced cooked eggplant as the filling instead of meat. You could also do diced cooked mushrooms, eggplant and black olives as the filling too. It's yummy! I don't know why I didn't think of it before!
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    1 eggplant sliced
    1/4c sauce
    1/4c shredded cheese
    1 tsp grated parmesan cheese

slice and bake eggplant in the oven at 400 degress season with whatever you like
    let them cool off

drop the temp of the oven down to 350
    in 4 small baking dishes layer:
    1 slice of eggplant
    1-2 tbsp sauce
    1-2 tbsp cheese
    repeat until you are done

top it off with the last bits of cheese.

cook for 20-25 min

you can also do this with zucchini and squash. I sometimes will add in peppers and meat sauce depending on my mood.
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    My favorite way to eat eggplant is make a mock moussaka (greek dish) without the cream sauce on top.

Dice eggplant and sautee with olive oil, nutmeg, allpsice, cinnamon, onions, can of stewed tomatoes and zucchini with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 40 minutes and sprinkle with parm. cheese.

This is sooo good!!!!!
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Thank you everyone for your ideas.

I ended up slicing the eggplant and makeing a lasagna with it. Instead of using noodles I used the eggplant. It came out good. I just need to figure out a way to get the bitter taste out of the eggplant. :-)
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    if you ever get eggplants again- why not try making Babaganouj: it's a middle eastern dip made from aubergine and it kind of tastes like houmous.

Cook the aubergine whole in an oven until the skin is blackened and wrinkly. (or you can cook it over an open flame on a fork). When I make it, I wait for the aubergine to 'explode' (i.e. the skin blasts off, but doesn't leave a mess and makes a banging sound)

Dice the cooked aubergine flesh.

In a bowl mix tahini paste with water and beat it until the tahini has turned from the colour of peanut butter to a light beige. Then add lemon and garlic to taste.

Then mix in the tahini mixture with the aubergine flesh cubes and use a hand blender to make it less chunky. Serve with fish, pitta bread/flat bread or cut up raw vegetables- it's absolutely delicious!!!!!!!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I recently had this at the Whole Foods salad abar and then found a recipe so that I could make it myself because it was so good. I baked mine at 450 instead of grilling it because it was cold & rainy last weekend and I didn't feel like standing outside by the grill! At the last minute, I turned on the broiler to give it a nice crispy top. I find it works best with the chinese egglant because the skin is less bitter and easier to eat than the other kind:

1/2 cup olive oil
    5 large green onions; 4 coarsely chopped, 1 thinly sliced for garnish
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds

2 eggplants (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices

Puree olive oil, chopped green onions, soy sauce, and sesame oil in blender. Transfer mixture to small bowl. Stir in sesame seeds; season mixture with pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Generously brush 1 side of each eggplant slice with green onion mixture. Place eggplant slices, seasoned side down, on grill. Brush tops of eggplant slices with green onion mixture. Cook until tender and charred in spots, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to platter. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions; serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Cut into chunks, broil it on 2 sides, then either a vinagrette or Rooster sauce (sriracha). Not the prettiest thing in the world -- a very brown dish unless you add parsley for color -- but meaty and tasty and filling and basically zero calories.

Or, just throw a whole eggplant on the grill -- skin and all, don't touch it -- til it roasts on all sides and becomes soft and squishy. Then let cool, remove insides, shred eggplant, add feta, parsley,, lemon juice for a spread.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    bump
This discussion has been closed.