Crunched for Time (or rather... I like sleep)

Options

Replies

• highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Even simple things like taking the stairs when you go to school or work instead of the elevator, or parking farther away so you have to walk more, or do some squats while brushing your teeth. You will find little things like this throughout the day will help alot. Workouts don't have to be in big chunks, just make them count. It might be a little harder to track on here but you will feel the difference. Good luck.
  • she_fit
    she_fit Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm having to make the early morning switch, too. Young married couple with both of us working and in school means we don't have all that much time (or energy) to spare. However, we have recently worked out a schedule that we hope will work for us. I don't mind getting up early, so I'll be a 5:00 AM date with Jillian every morning, my husband will be on the treadmill in the evening. Both of us have lost about 20 lbs in the last 2 years and we are both working on chiseling off the last few.
  • peacesignsandafros87
    Options
    What if you incorporate workout time with boyfriend time,like going for a walk. Or what about using workout time as a brain break between studying. Everyone has to find their own pattern. However, dont mistake getting sleep for not being healthy...your body and mind need rest as much as you need to eat healthy and exercise.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It'll become a priority when you decide you want it badly enough.

This honestly can't be quoted enough.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Ultimate Reset with Beachbody is a good one, no workout needed, but you do need to do quite a bit of preparing meals! I am doing it right now, on Day 7 and I'm feeling great! Have you heard of shakeology? It's a meal replacement shake so it's very quick and easy to make. That has been my breakfast until I had to start with the Reset so had to make it as a snack instead. Feel free to message me if you need help or more info.

Please disregard "advice" from people who are trying to sell products.

Shakeology will do nothing that you can't do yourself.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's critically important to my mental health that I get enough sleep each night. I can't just cut sleep hours to exercise, no matter how much I might want to.

I work out first thing when I get home from work. 20-30 minutes on the Elliptical, a shower, and I'm ready to go about my evening.

Cooking dinners during the week is one thing I let slip. For instance last night dinner was carrot sticks, 2 kiwis, and fresh chevre on lightly salted Triscuits. I learned to let the dishes sit & soak overnight if I don't have time to deal with them that evening.
  • vikihogg
    vikihogg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i use one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9102727.htm it a mini exercise bike and it means i can cycle while i am watching TV or working at my desk, or even with friends and family in the sofa.

It means i can do what i need to do for my volunteering or work and i am still exercising an I don't have to leave the house, it also help with my bum knee as cycling is on the exercises that wont make it worse!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    When our lives are busy/complicating sometimes it not just exercise we need but a mental break. Instead of exercise that feels forced and you're not looking forward to, find something you really like or love. Riding a bike outside, walking the dog' kayaking or join a sports team- even beginner level. (I played sand volleyball for years and loved it. My aunt does Latin dancing every week at a church near her house.) Even if you can only fit it in once or twice a week, it's still good. If you love it then it will be easier to work it into your schedule.
  • mindyjo74
    mindyjo74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For quick exercises, find the 30 Day Shred on youtube. workouts are like 20-25 minutes and pretty intense.

If you cant exercise, just eat at a deficit. Thats pretty much it.

I agree with this! I also am crunched for time as well and tend to miss out on sleep to get my workouts in. Unfortunately...but seems to be the only way for me to fit it in.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

True that!
  • Female_On_Fire
    Female_On_Fire Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it all at once. Take time during your busy day to throw in some lunges, crunches,jumping Jack's whatever you like to do. There are so many places on the internet to find ideas. I find quick workouts on pinterest because I like trying new things. Can't you and your boyfriend work out together? Even a bike ride or a walk with him is something. Surely the two of you can think.of ways to burn calories. ;)
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Yep. Another vote from me... I like sleep too but I choose to drag myself out of bed at 4:30am a few days a week because it's the only way I can fit my runs in. Of course compared to some posters I have plenty of time thanks to my willingness to skip pesky things like housework :-)

On a more practical note the advice to just incorporate more movement into your day was good as is the suggestion of something like 30 day shred - that only takes half an hour. Remember that anything is better than nothing so if all you can do is add in a few 5 min squat sessions and a couple of extra flights of stairs you're still coming out ahead.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the videos! I also quite like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkZKSDnBzJM
    You can do your own variations!

Also, body weight strength training like stuff can be done anywhere anytime!!
    I recently started doing squats while I brush my teeth lol. You can do lunges, push ups, planks, leg lifts etc! I also sometimes do the lying down cycling thing while using my laptop.

You have a really busy schedule so you could try sneaking in some of these into your daily life! And then do those videos when you have time or can get yourself to wake up earlier to get them done! Make sure you're eating right also so you don't burn out :) Do it progressively so you can get used to the extra activity! Good luck :D
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

^^^This. First lesson in time management: There are only 24 hours in a day. You're never gonna get "more time". Now that you know the rules, you have to realize YOU control what happens in those 24 hours. Your'e priorities don't reveal themselves by what you SAY is important. They reveal themselves in what you DO. Right now, your priority is sleep (and the other things you choose to use your precious time on). If you're OK with that, carry on,. If not, change it. You are in control.

Also, if you continue to choose not to excersise, you can lose weight simply by eating at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight, You can "tone up" later when you choose to make it a priority.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Can I just point out to everyone that sleep and rest is just as important as working out!

Some of this advice could be taken the wrong way and although YOU may get up at 4/5/6 in the morning to work out for someone like me that is just going to make me tired & depressed and make for rubbish work outs

Do what works best for you. I chose to spend my evenings working out so I don't have a social life or see my boyfriend as much as he would like but thats what works best for me.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You really need to put things in your schedule. Sure, we all have days when the plan is tough to meet, but the chances are a lot higher if working out is in your calendar.

20 minutes can be a good workout. And if you can fit in 2 a day once in a a while, you have this.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's critically important to my mental health that I get enough sleep each night. I can't just cut sleep hours to exercise, no matter how much I might want to.

I work out first thing when I get home from work. 20-30 minutes on the Elliptical, a shower, and I'm ready to go about my evening.

Cooking dinners during the week is one thing I let slip. For instance last night dinner was carrot sticks, 2 kiwis, and fresh chevre on lightly salted Triscuits. I learned to let the dishes sit & soak overnight if I don't have time to deal with them that evening.

Same here!!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Is there an activity or sport you and your bf would both like to do? You can make your "workout" something you can do together- exercise doesn't have to be jumping jacks and push-ups!

Even fitting in 15-20 min blocks 2 or 3 times a day is great. I have an 8 month old who doesn't really like to sleep and I'll squeeze in 15 minutes of yoga during his power nap and then manage another 15 minutes if he's occupied with his bottle or a toy for awhile.

You can do it!
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Try fitnessblender.com. They have loads of short videos, some only 10 minutes long. You could squeeze a few of those in
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You know...saying if you want it bad enough is really rude.Everyone does what works for them, and to tell someone that if they don't do whatever it is that you feel they should do they aren't dedicated, they don't want it bad enough is really counter productive.

To the OP:

Firstly, you are doing great having your calories under control - that will do more for you in terms of losing weight than anything else you can do. You can do a lot of things to get more active without having to 'go to the gym'. Start talking the 'long' way when you are walking between classes - you can go up a floor, cross and come back down. Take a short walk around campus between classes or while you are eating lunch. Or make a point to do something that requires effort with your boyfriend. We go for walks or go hiking when we want to spend time together. This allows me to be a little active and still spend time with him doing something we both enjoy.

Don't fret about not being able to work out as much as you want (or think you should) because if you have your calories under control the scale still moves.