Need ideas for easy low calorie recipe using hamburger

Options
mrslantu2020
mrslantu2020 Posts: 71 Member
Hey all!
Since joining MFP I typically cook using chicken. But, I am out of chicken and don't have time to go to the store tonight. I do have a pound of hamburger though. Anyone have any recipes that are simple and low cal?

Replies

• jordan_vakil
    Options
    my friend makes this lasagna in the crock pot that is awesome.
    add whole wheat pasta (cooked) and low cal spaghetti sauce (or just add some diced tomatoes) and some onions and peppers and maybe some zucchini and throw it in the crock pot.

Its delicious
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    hmmm, it's kinda hard with ground beef but you could make home made burgers?? better than store bought for sure. They would be free of preservatives and you can control what you put in them.
  • BROOMWITCH
    Options
    You can make a hamburger stirfry.

Crumble & brown hamburg. Add what ever vegeatbles you want (zucchini, carrots, mixed, onions, whatever, except for tomatoes). Add oregano, basil, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Last two minutes of cooking add tomatoes if you are going to. Serve over brown rice.:smile:
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You can always make hamburger a little healthier by rinsing it after browning.
    We have a family favorite casserole, it is a pound of hamburger, 1 head of cabbage chopped and an onion diced. Place browned hamburger on tops of cabbage & onions, top with can of tomato soup or diced seasoned tomatoes and bake for 2 hours. Several in my family aren't overly fond of cabbage, but this is loved by even the fussy ones.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Tacos!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Italian Chili!

Brown the beef in a deep skillet or saucepan. While beef is cooking, add onion (1 medium, diced), mushrooms (1 pkg, sliced), 1/2 red bell pepper (diced), in a separate skillet and saute until the edges are lightly browned. Add 1/2 bag of spinach to the vegetable mixture and allow the spinach to cook down / wilt.

When the beef is fully cooked, drain the excess grease, and add 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (pref. some with no added sugar - I like Newman's own), 2 cloves of garlic - mashed, 1 tsp each of oregano and basil, and a sprinkling of hot pepper flakes. Next, add vegetable mixture from the skillet into the tomato / beef mixture. Allow mixture to simmer about 20-30 minutes, remove from heat, serve with a sprinkling of parmesan or mozzarella cheese.

Goes well with a side salad.
  • MamaBudda
    Options
    This sounds really great. I love cabbage and so does my better half. I have one question though, have you ever tried using ground turkey breast as a subsitute for the ground beef? I have never been into ground beef even as a child and would like to try your recipe using the turkey.:flowerforyou:
  • MamaBudda
    Options
    I have made this same thing but, I subsitute thinly sliced turkey breast meat for the ground beef.
  • MamaBudda
    Options
    Yummy thats, all I have to say. You had me a zucchini. :laugh:
  • ahuggins
    Options
    You can always make hamburger a little healthier by rinsing it after browning.
    We have a family favorite casserole, it is a pound of hamburger, 1 head of cabbage chopped and an onion diced. Place browned hamburger on tops of cabbage & onions, top with can of tomato soup or diced seasoned tomatoes and bake for 2 hours. Several in my family aren't overly fond of cabbage, but this is loved by even the fussy ones.

We make this also and call it unstuffed cabbage casserole- we add Brown rice it is so filling-and you don't feel as though your eating cabbage very low in calories-300 for a large serving

Veggie soup is good too- I usually use a lean chuck roast but lean ground beef is good too-Chili is also filling and high in fiber