Heart rate confusion...

Options
Okay, so when I go to the gym and use the machines they put my target heart rate at 152 (I enter my weight and and age). I've researched it online and according to that it's a little high, but 152 is within a range that keeps me out of "anaerobic exercise". Last night I went to work out on the elliptical, and once my heart rate reaches 163 it tells me to slow down. I went for 45 minutes and in the last 15 minutes it stayed around 157-165. I never felt out of breath, I wasn't panting or feeling faint. I was breathing hard, but I had already been at it 30 minutes going at least 4.0 mph to 5.0 mph. If I had needed to speak to someone, I could have carried on a conversation (though haltingly) . Is this okay? I'm just not sure, and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The charts on those machines are the average of thousands of people, so they only apply to those who are average.

Finding your own heart rate zones is part of the experience. They will almost always be different from what the machines tell you.

Some people have sky high heart rates. Some have very very low heart rates. As you get fitter, and your heart can pump more blood per beat, you may actually find your heart rate dropping but that you can go faster.

If you are going anaerobic, you will know it. That gasping kind of intensity is pretty obvious!
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump... my question is exactly the same. But my age is (almost 61) and my rate according to machine should be between 104 and 128. I keep it at about 75-80 % of that for about 30 minutes. So interested to see replies to original poster.