Avocado Spread

Options
ekaustin7
ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
Wanted to post this recipe for you all - I posted it as a reply to a topic about avocadoes and a few people thanked me for it, so I figured I'd post it here. I'm not a huge fan of plain avocado, so I make it into a spread to put on sandwiches, an easy way to get the healthy fats into my meals.

2 ripe avocadoes (MUST be squishy, otherwise your spread will be chunky, not creamy)
1 T real mayonnaise (you can also use lite, I just used regular)
Season to taste with garlic salt & seasoning salt

Makes about 1 1/4 cup, coming out to about 37 calories per tablespoon.

The easiest way I've found to do it is to cut the avocadoes in half, then squish the fruit out of the peel into a bowl (save the pit!), add the mayonnaise and mash together with a fork. If you want it a bit creamier, just pulse it in a blender or food processor a few times. Season to your liking with garlic & seasoning salt and boom, done! Store in an airtight container in the fridge. To delay the onset of the brown coloring (from oxidation), you can place the pit in the container, or squeeze the juice from 1/2 a lime and mix it in with the spread. If you won't eat it up very quickly, I would suggest you halve the recipe so it doesn't go bad before you get the chance to use it all.

Enjoy!

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sub greek yogurt for mayo and try it tonight.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Never thought of greek yogurt! Hope it turns out! I'm not a fan of the tanginess of greek yogurt but I bet it would be hidden well in the creaminess of the avocado. Let me know how it goes!
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy! I have an avocado obsession!!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I make mine with Plain Fat Free Greedk Yogurt less calories and more protein than mayo.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    or just use guacamole and you can cut out all the gook from the mayo :drinker:
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sub greek yogurt for mayo and try it tonight.

Yum! Me, too!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I like the idea with the nonfat plain greek yogurt.
  • iamferf2
    iamferf2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love avacado and greek yogurt.....defnitiely want to try this. I have never heard of the pit in the container to prevent browning. does that truly work?
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I adore avocado, and can't wait to try this!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    or just use guacamole and you can cut out all the gook from the mayo :drinker:
    Exactly! If you mush the avocado you don't need the mayo.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Mmm I have to buy some avocado now :happy:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    i have also made this with sour cream, a teaspoon of white vinger and spring onions!

great post!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating this on sandwiches with sprouts a slice of cheese and tomato. Love it.
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yep! It'll keep it from browning, at least for several hours.

This was in response to the poster who asked about leaving the pit in to keep it from browning!
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    OMG Yummy! Thanks :smile:
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    I add lemon juice and load up the garlic. Plus a bit of olive oil and water. Mix it up in the mini prep and use it as a delicious Caesar dressing
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump