Mashed Califlower

Options
ajohnson1567
ajohnson1567 Posts: 26 Member
Looking for a good mashed Califlower recipe that supposed to taste like mashed potatos. thank you :)

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I find they always still taste like cauliflower... if it tasted like potatoes, everyone'd be doing it.

BUT, I do like to use half and half.... half potatoes, half cauliflower. Just make sure you overcook the cauliflower or else it doesn't mash well.
  • ajohnson1567
    ajohnson1567 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thats what i was afriad of lol. thank you anyways!
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the previous poster. We do half and half because plain cauliflower mashed still always tastes like cauliflower.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you do with it.
    If you eat it "straight", yeah, it does taste like cauliflower. If you use it as a base, it works. Like on shepherds pie. Or broiled with lowfat cheese and bacon bits on top. Or under something.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like it as mashed cauliflower since I dont like mashed potatoes...

but I do make them with plenty of garlic, some chopped up leaks, handfull or two of cheese, some cream and maybe a little butter.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    also try roasting a small amount in the oven. finely chop those pieces and mix them in. I like it that way, adds another layer of flavor
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love roasted Califlower with garlic, I havent tried mashed...I miss potatoes though :(
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple one: http://www.theskinnylist.com/post/29628470673/mashed-cauliflower-110-calories-per

I've also added greek yogurt with wasabi to make wasabi whipped mashed caluflower with salmon on top. Amazing.
  • conniesqueen
    conniesqueen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. I'm trying this.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing...I just made my first attempt at this last night!! Let me say first that I'm not a fan of cauliflower, but I've been trying really hard to incorporate more diversity into my vegetable group.

I took one head of cauliflower and cut off all the bushy parts and threw them in a microwavable bowl with some water in the bottom. I mostly covered it (plastic wrap with an air hole), and microwaved it for 7 minutes, then let it sit in the microwave for another couple minutes while I prepped other things.

I took 6 cloves of garlic, peeled, and put them on a cookie sheet under the broiler until they were browned and soft.

I threw the cauliflower in the blender/food processor, then the roasted garlic, then 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup 2% shredded mexican cheese blend, and a little salt and pepper.

Then I blended, a lot. I scraped everything down a couple times, and blended some more. It ended up a soft, fluffy, mashed potato-like texture, and tasted amazing.

I made a coworker (who is opposed to most vegetables, but is obsessed with mashed potatoes) eat some. She said they were amazing and would have never have guessed they were anything but potato. She did say she might go with only 1 tbsp greek yogurt, to make them a little less creamy.

Faux-tato success!!
  • MoganHorse
    MoganHorse Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, it still tastes like cauliflower (you can't ever get something to taste like potatoes if it isn't a potato!), but you can add different spices or herbs to make it taste great! Cauliflower doesn't exactly have a strong flavor anyways, so roasted garlic, steak seasoning, and a little butter or light sour cream does the trick. I personally love it that way!
  • foremaar012
    Options
    I really like mashed cauliflower, but everyone's right it pretty much tastes like cauliflower. The best thing about it is that you can make it taste savory and salty which is my favorite part of mashed potatoes, with some reduced fat cream cheese and butter. My recipe it ends up around 84 cal a serving:

1 head of cauliflower
    2 tbl reduced fat cream cheese
    1 tbl country crock
    1/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
    sea salt
    pepper

1. steam cauliflower until tender
    2. puree the rest of the ingredients minus the buttermilk with the cooked cauliflower
    3. slowly add the buttermilk until it gets to the right consistency, i like it thick like potatoes