Protein Shakes...Water or Milk?

Options
13»

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's subjective.. I don't really like super heavy thick drinks, so I don't mind water. Coconut milk I guess if I just want to get rid of it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If water tastes too "watery", you can cut the calories by using unsweetened Almond milk (30 cal per cup) instead of milk.

This! I switched to using unsweetened almond milk and I can't tell the differnce to be honest.
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas are a game-changing ingredient, IMO.

^^^ for sure!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it has been suggested, but if you want to use water to cut out calories, have you tried adding a splash of vanilla extract? I very often make a smoothie using hemp protein powder which has a more neutral taste, and water, along with half a banana, half a cup of berries, and a handful of kale. The vanilla gives it a bit of flavour and makes it taste less watery.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk as well here!
  • cleaneatingkaren
    Options
    I've been using coconut milk lately and I love it!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just make mine with water and down it. It doesn't taste great, but it's a few minutes of ick and then it's over. I hate milk.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i bet it would taste great with the milk from a bowl of lucky charms
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you tried rice milk or soy milk? My favorite "milk" in the whole world next to regular is Silk Light Original.
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I know, I was thinking the same thing. People one read 1/2 the post! Ugh! :ohwell:
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas are a game-changing ingredient, IMO.

^^^ for sure!

Absolutely! I use water rather than milk but I blend in banana/frozen banana. add pb2 for chocolate or pb deliciousness.
  • 1lisalou
    1lisalou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was on them for a while then off for years. Getting back to them now. I was told to use at least 1/2 milk because that is what helps make you feel full. I am now using coconut milk and they are good. Sometimes I take about a teaspoon of banana pudding (dry mix) and put that in my EAS chocolate shake, lots of flavor.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    If you have a nut allergy, light soy milk or unsweetened coconut milk would be great. I find water in my shakes to be unsatisfying.
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Fortress powder as well and have been experimenting with different shakes for lunch. I usually just use 1% milk and some frozen fruit (whatever I happen to have handy) so far pineapple has been my favorite. I will sometimes use half milk and half water.

I have heard of some people adding coffee to the protein powder shakes so I am going to try that. Does anyone know if you can use it with hot coffee?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends how hungry you are. It fills me up more with milk (I used skim milk for a bit without switching to almond milk - sorry you're allergic!).