Vegan Protein without Soy or Whey

Options
judydelo1
judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
I was put on a vegan diet by my health practitioner. I can't have whey or UNfermented soy such as tofu, soybeans, soy milk or soy powder (miso and tempeh are okay). I'm also not supposed to eat flour based products.

I'm averaging 30 - 50 grams of protein eating this way. I want to replace my fat with lean muscle as my workouts continue. Will this be enough protein?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    First, you don't replace fat with muscle.

Second, if you want to build muscle you need to not only get more protein but ensure you are lifting HEAVY and eating at a calorie surplus. YOu won't gain more than a lb or two of muscle if you aren't eating a surplus of calories.

Eat more beans, nuts, legumes, nut butters, for protein. Check our rice or pea protein powder. They do have vegan powders but I"m not sure what they have in them for the protein.

Use the Tempeh brand meat replacements if you have them around you.

If you were put on a vegan diet by your health practitioner... maybe ask them on ways to get protein?
  • judydelo1
    Options
    First, you don't replace fat with muscle.

Second, if you want to build muscle you need to not only get more protein but ensure you are lifting HEAVY and eating at a calorie surplus. YOu won't gain more than a lb or two of muscle if you aren't eating a surplus of calories.

Eat more beans, nuts, legumes, nut butters, for protein. Check our rice or pea protein powder. They do have vegan powders but I"m not sure what they have in them for the protein.

Use the Tempeh brand meat replacements if you have them around you.

If you were put on a vegan diet by your health practitioner... maybe ask them on ways to get protein?

Thanks for the tip about the pea protein/rice vegan powders. I'll have to look into that.
    I know fat isn't converted into muscle, lol. Sorry if I made it sound like I thought that. I meant that I want to melt my fat away and also build more muscle at the same time.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Why would a health practitioner put you on a vegan diet?
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior or Vega One
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    nuts and seeds would be your best bet then.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Pea Protein is good stuff. Help protein sounds like an option for you too.
  • secyatlaw
    secyatlaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Vega One, Vega Energizing Smoothies, Vega Sport. All soy and whey-free. Vega One has 15g protein per scoop, the smoothies about 11-12. Pretty good taste as well, sweetened with stevia. I use coconut water (not dairy, nor coconut MILK), water or less frequently fruit/vegetable juice.
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Why would a health practitioner put you on a vegan diet?

To put my Epstein-Barre into remission . . . and it's working!!! Finally, after 10 years I'm back to myself!

I'm loving all of these suggestions!! Keep them coming and thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I found Nature's Way Alive! Pea Shake on Amazon. I was thinking of trying it after I use up my whey protein powder. I am also using HealthForce products like Vitamineral Green, which have very good ingredients.
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well, the most common formula for determining protein needs is 0.8 g of protein per kg of ideal body weight. I've read that as a vegan you should aim a little higher than that (0.9g) because plant proteins are broken down differently in your body. Not sure what your weight is but you can do the math. :)

As for other suggestions, have you tried peanut flour? I was introduced to it recently by people on MFP. It's cheaper than a lot of the vegan protein powders out there, plain rice protein powder being the exception. One serving (1/4 cup) of the type I have is 110 calories/16g protein. You could put it into smoothies, oatmeals, other recipes etc.
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Well, the most common formula for determining protein needs is 0.8 g of protein per kg of ideal body weight. I've read that as a vegan you should aim a little higher than that (0.9g) because plant proteins are broken down differently in your body. Not sure what your weight is but you can do the math. :)

As for other suggestions, have you tried peanut flour? I was introduced to it recently by people on MFP. It's cheaper than a lot of the vegan protein powders out there, plain rice protein powder being the exception. One serving (1/4 cup) of the type I have is 110 calories/16g protein. You could put it into smoothies, oatmeals, other recipes etc.

Hummm peanut flour . . . I'm sure my health food store has this. Is it like wheat flour, in other words, you cook/bake with it?
  • judydelo1
    Options

Yeah by this formula I should be getting around 60 g . . . So I'm below most days.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    Lots of bean options outside soybeans. Lots.
    Natural peanut anything.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    All your vegetable protein powders are going to have a very low BV. You're going to have to do some research on the amino profile of the powder, and possibly mix two different types together.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    Sunwarrior or Vega One
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Nutiva Hemp Protein or the Sunwarrior protein.

I am not vegan, but I use both of these proteins because I like them.
  • judydelo1
    Options
    All your vegetable protein powders are going to have a very low BV. You're going to have to do some research on the amino profile of the powder, and possibly mix two different types together.

BV?
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_value

Generally, vegetarians need a lot more protein than they think, because of this.