Fitbit calories burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    whats the point of having a fitbit if you aren't going to let it measure your activity and you are going to manually log HRM calories anyways?

You just totally lost me. Yes, they are calories from activity that you do daily. It is still activity. All that it means when you see an adjustment like that is you picked the wrong activity level in MFP to start with.

Since the fitbit does not have a HRM and just does an average according to your info you put in, I feel like my Garmin is a much more accurate count of the calories I burn while running so I use those numbers instead. The fitbit does subtract them from the total so it isn't adding the same calorie burn twice.

Plus I have not gotten skinny doing my "normal daily activities" :) If I could, I wouldn't be on here. I am a librarian who happens to run a lot, I am not more than lightly active most of my day.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    whats the point of having a fitbit if you aren't going to let it measure your activity and you are going to manually log HRM calories anyways?

You just totally lost me. Yes, they are calories from activity that you do daily. It is still activity. All that it means when you see an adjustment like that is you picked the wrong activity level in MFP to start with.

Since the fitbit does not have a HRM and just does an average according to your info you put in, I feel like my Garmin is a much more accurate count of the calories I burn while running so I use those numbers instead. The fitbit does subtract them from the total so it isn't adding the same calorie burn twice.

Plus I have not gotten skinny doing my "normal daily activities" :) If I could, I wouldn't be on here. I am a librarian who happens to run a lot, I am not more than lightly active most of my day.

I agree. For running, an HRM is more accurate, although slightly in my experience. My fitbit is usually within about 10% of my HRM for running or walking. However, it only averages the activity if you manually enter it. If you just let it do its thing, it is pretty close for running or walking. Try it - wear the fitbit and the HRM and start the timers at the same time. When you get finished, stop the timers and compare.

As far as your normal activities go, they burn calories too. You didn't get skinny from exercising either. You got skinny from eating less calories than you burned - as far as weight loss is concerned, it doesn't matter if you eat less, exercise more, or both. If you have MFP setup to allow negative adjustments, your fitbit will actually subtract calories on low activity days as well.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I have compared my HRM calorie burn to my fitbit calorie burn and they usually are pretty close. I also have a desk job and sit most of the day. So I have myself set to Sedentary both on MFP and Fitbit. So when it gives me more calories because I happened to move more than being sedentary I keep them. It has worked for me. But of course I like to drink beer so if fitbit gives me 99 calorie adjustment for moving more in my daily activities that is one more beer for me. ya! :drinker:
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    MFP and Fitbit will work together on that. You won't get double the calories. When you enter in your HRM work out you'll see that your Fitbit calories goes down until you refresh and then it will show again, a different number. Using your timer on your fitbit while working out really helps these two sync out too but I know plenty of people who don't and they are losing weight!
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I ordered a fitbit mainly because I want the correct TDEE. Will see how it goes. Waiting for my flex.

That is why I want to buy one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't synch them. I just average what my fitbit says (adding my two 300 calorie workouts a week), take 20% off, and set it as goal.
  • serenere
    serenere Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys I'm confused. O__o I just bought a fitbit zip. I have to wear it even when I do sports or take it off in these times and log the activity separately? If it is liket that, it won't be a problem, I can add my aerobics and other things separately.

My biggest concern it's about running. I want to know how much I burn for each run but on my display I can see one number of calories that includes my BMR...it is possible to know how much I burned just running?!?!