Pedometer?

Options
Hello everyone, I just started using an old fashion pedometer and are a little confused how I am to logg my exercise. Like I was putting that if I walked 3 miles that I walked at a 2.0 miles slow pace for 90 mins which would equal the 60 mins for the first 2 miles and half an hr for the other mile but it seems to be giving me too many calories burned because yesterday I was on the treadmill for 25 mins at a 3.0 speed and I only burned like 187 calories where if I put that I walked an hr at the 2.0 speed it was giving me like 300 calories. I'm kinda confused, I want to track correctly.. Any help would be great

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I only log inteintional exercise -- so when I go out "for a walk" and walk 3.5-4.0 mph and get my heart rate up and break a bit of a sweat, that's logged exercise. I've got my activity level set as sedentary and then add exercise.

I use the pedometer as a tool to keep me honest about my activity level. Many researchers use 5000 steps per day as the line between sedentary and active (lightly active!). On days when I can't get away from my desk at work and don't have as much housework to do, its possible for me to barely clear that even with a bout of intentional exercise. So I check it on and off throughout the day and use it to remind me to get up and walk around and MOVE.

"Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults: (i) <5000 steps/ day may be used as a ‘sedentary lifestyle index’; (ii) 5000–7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered ‘low active’; (iii) 7500–9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered ‘somewhat active’; and (iv) ≥10 000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as ‘active’. Individuals who take >12 500 steps/day are likely to be classified as ‘highly active’."

In other words, 30 minutes working out three times a week doesn't make you "active" if you sit around the rest of the time, and the pedometer will reflect that for you.