Exercises for Severe Osteoporosis

Options
I am 56 years young and swim for exercise. It is the only type of cardiovascular exercise that I can push myself to the max and get a great workout. I have always had weak joints so land exercises always led to injuries. Now I have a diagnosis of severe osteoporosis of the spine due to medication (long term heparin). Help, what are the best exercises for this?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the one to say this, but you REALLY need to be asking your doctor these questions. Don't take the word of a bunch of internet folks.

Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Yeah, with spinal Osteoporosis, you are looking at permanent disability or even paralysis should you injure your spinal cord.

BE CAREFUL. This is not the time to ask a bunch of random people on the street.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This isn't the place to fool around getting that kind of advice. My mom has osteoporosis and has just broken her hip just walking up the stairs. No one here is qualified to give advice.
  • mzdocb
    mzdocb Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice to talk to my doctor. Still quite shell shocked at the diagnosis. Been taking calcium and vitamin D for the past 15 years and it just didn't do it! I swim at a place that also has a physical therapy part and I will see about getting a referal to one of the therapists.