Short and lifting machines?

Options
Hello,

My trainer and I have been working out with free weights during my sessions but we always avoid the machines in the weight room. She said that because of my height (5'3) that I may be too short to use the machines. I know she is not going to incorporate them into our sessions but should I go in and try them during my own time? I don't want to hurt myself but I remember using some of them in high school. I remember using one where you lay down and push up with your legs (dont laugh I have no idea what this is called) and one that you put your arms behind and push them to the center of your chest. She did mention my feet would probably dangle on that machine.

I LOVE my trainer but I just wondered if anyone else who is short uses these machines?

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I've been lifting for the last year. I use machines, but mostly free weights. I have to adjust the machines to the smallest size, but I still do it if a machine is in my routine for the day. A trainer shouldn't tell you not to without even letting you try.

That said, free weights aren't bad- that's mostly what I use. I actually prefer them, they require more stability and core work.

(And the machines you're talking about are the leg press and chest fly machines. That's about the only two machines I actually use to be honest [sometimes the assisted dip machine also].)

You could always at least give them a try and see if it's possible... I've seen girls shorter than me using machines.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and I am not too small for the machines. You might have to lift the seat all the way up and push the back forward pretty far for it to be right but you should be able to use them if you want.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :smokin: I am 5'2" and I LOVE the Machines!! You may have to adjust the Seat or the Weights on some of the Machines, but you will learn QUICKLY where the "Right" Setting is for you.
    :heart: Be sure to come back and let us know what you think after you try the Machines a few times!!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Chances are good that you'll have better results using the free weights, but I doubt you'll be too short for the machines if they're really what you want to do. I'm not quite 5'4", and the leg curl is the only machine I can't get adjusted right. (Single leg curl is fine, though, so it's just whatever is up with the seat on that one.)

Of course it depends on the brand of machine and your proportions - a lot of times people assume that the machines are "safer" but because of whatever biomechanical mismatch, they're actually locking them into the wrong range of motion and they wind up getting hurt.

But really, you should probably listen to your trainer, that's what you're paying her for after all. Ask her to set you up with a resistance routine you can do on your own when you're not working out with her.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and use the machines without an issue. And I see people smaller than me using them too. They should be fully adjustable, check with the staff at the gym rather than your Trainer.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and use the machines without an issue. And I see people smaller than me using them too. They should be fully adjustable, check with the staff at the gym rather than your Trainer.
    Yep what she said. I'm 5'3 and the only one I have any slight difficulty with is the one where you pull the bar down to chest height (sorry no good at names of machines) where I have to stand up to pull it down to working height for me then I just use it as normal. Even a few taller guys need to stand to pull the bar down though so I don't think my height is really an issue at all. X