Skinny Girl Diet

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
I saw a post just now from a girl asking about the skinny girl diet. It was blasted as being pro-ana and locked. The diet was posted in the thread and had daily calories ranging from 400 - 700. BUT, that was without counting any fruits or vegetables. It said to eat as many fruits or vegetables as you wanted without counting.

So, this would be 400 - 700 calories of meats, fats and grains and all the fruits and veggies you wanted. Any diet can be abused, and certainly by limiting fruits and vegetables this may more of a potential for abuse, but it would not have to be an unhealthy diet. You could even eat at a calorie surplus on such on a diet.

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i don't know, i think it's plausible at best. assuming you ate 400 calories of meat/grains/cheese/whatever, you'd have to get a minimum of 800 calories from fruits and veggies just to hit 1200, which would be pretty hard to do in my opinion.

either way you look at it, though, it's still a fad diet.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Fad diets are dumb.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It is definitely pro-ana.... I did it 4 years ago and it sparked an ED for me. Plus, those typically doing this diet/in-favor of this have an EDNOS of some sort.

So while some normal person can do it with the right amount of calories, it promotes severe caloric restriction.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    i don't know, i think it's plausible at best. assuming you ate 400 calories of meat/grains/cheese/whatever, you'd have to get a minimum of 800 calories from fruits and veggies just to hit 1200, which would be pretty hard to do in my opinion.

Fad diet has nothing to do with it. It was locked for being unhealthy. 400 calories were only the low days. Some days you must eat 700 calories before any fruits or vegetables. Others somewhere in between. One avocado has more than 200 calories. It's not hard rack up a lot of calories with fruits and vegetables.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It is definitely pro-ana.... I did it 4 years ago and it sparked an ED for me. Plus, those typically doing this diet/in-favor of this have an EDNOS of some sort.

So while some normal person can do it with the right amount of calories, it promotes severe caloric restriction.

Oh, nothing posted in that thread other the personal opinions suggested that. Is there another web site that promotes the severe restriction?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Fad diets are dumb.

Is it a forum rule that all dumb posts must be locked?
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that sounds pretty extreem. If it was 1,000 calories a day it would be a lot easier to work with. Add beans in to eat freely and it would probably be pretty fine. If someone eats 5 cups of veggies and 5 fruits, that adds about 6-800 extra calories. Not enough. But at 1K base, with lots of beans, it would sound a lot like the plant based diets that Joel Furhman and the Forks over Knives people perscribe. The carbs and meats would actually provide a bit of a better base. (Or easier, at least.)
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Oh, nothing posted in that thread other the personal opinions suggested that. Is there another web site that promotes the severe restriction?

This sounds a lot like the ABC diet to me. And ABC is "Anorexia Boot Camp."
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The Skinny Girl diet was born from the ABC diet, a diet that also cycles calories that low. They are intrinsically linked and pro-ana. I am astounded to see someone argue that any diet where the high calorie goal of 700 is a good idea. Fruits and veggies on the side do not, can not, and will not make up for the mental torture that this diet promotes.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I don't feel like copy/pasting links for you. So Google it....there are tons of web sites showing that it is definitely pro-ana.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Fad diet has nothing to do with it. It was locked for being unhealthy. 400 calories were only the low days. Some days you must eat 700 calories before any fruits or vegetables. Others somewhere in between. One avocado has more than 200 calories. It's not hard rack up a lot of calories with fruits and vegetables.

Do you hear yourself, 400 only on the low days? :noway:

Very pro ana and unhealthy.

and I doubt the people doing are eating 800 cals of fruit and veg a day on top.
This discussion has been closed.