Ever Done a Color Run?

Options
2»

Replies

• amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have been invited to go to one with a friend, but really I just don't get it and I'm not going. I don't know what's so appealing about having people throw colored corn starch at you while you run? Maybe I'm missing something, but I wouldn't pay $40 to potentially have my clothes ruined. I also heard it's not even timed and that it's pretty chaotic with people starting at different times and you have to stop and wait in line to run through the color station. I guess it's just for "fun" but I really don't get it.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Definitely do the bandana around your mouth. I had blue spit for awhile afterward. If you have a large white poodle, make sure to take them, too. Multi-color dogs are awesome :). I had a blast at mine! Just make sure that you have towels in your car to sit on. You don't want to forget and have pink on your butt at work the next day! I'm fair skinned with blonde hair and everything washed out just fine. I was actually disappointed that my shirt didn't stain :(.

Also, don't be surprised if you see people rolling around in the color. They are not having a seizure or a heart-attack, but just trying to get as messy as possible.

Enjoy your run! It was a great experience for me. It was so nice to see a race where time didn't matter and everyone was out just for the heck of it. Some people pushed baby strollers, some pushed others in wheelchairs. It was very motivating and inspirational !!
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    Bump - trying to get all of my topics to 500....
  • kar1ey
    kar1ey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It was my first 5k and it was really fun and I do not regret it! It's a happy, care-free zone and everyone is just trying to get to the finish line. There were many people walking and a lot of people with young children.

Some tips:

My undergarments somehow got exposed to color during the run. This stuff washed out after many, many cycles, but still. Don't wear things in that department that you care about because they will get messy! Especially when you sweat. The color bleeds around and it looks gross.

Don't wear sneakers that you care about either! I have a pair of Walmart-bought sneakers so I didn't care if they got messy. 8 months later after regular indoor/outdoor use and the color is still on them. I don't care but I can see why someone who wore their $100+ Nikes would be angry.

Bring a change of clothes for the ride home, even if it's like a bathrobe or something easy to slip on. Bring some baby wipes or extra water and towels to wash up afterwards. You get way messy and if you don't want to get your/someone else's car to get dirty you got to prepare for it!

The day that I went was really hot and they didn't have enough water and it tasted like dirty hose water anyway. There weren't enough busses that transported us from the sports park (where the finishing line/after party was hosted) to the parking lot so we waited 2 hours for a ride. A lot of people were sunburned, sweaty, and angry. I was told that this was the sports park's fault and not The Color Run's. I believe that because The Color Run is so successful and if every event was like the one I experienced they wouldn't have any business!! I'm the kind of person that can laugh things off so I wasn't too angry, just slightly annoyed.

That being said-- be prepared for anything. Bring a small bag/backpack/fanny pack. Bring a small thing of sunscreen, a snack, and some water just incase something unpredictable happens-- especially if you have to rely on busses to get you back to your car!! Don't plan anything else for the rest of the day incase you get caught up in traffic on the way home or, god forbid, get stranded like we were. I heard a lot of people complaining that they were going to be late to work.

Overall, it was fun. My crazy self would do it again!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ...Aside from 2 days of technicolor boogers, I was totally fine!...

Oh, and bring towels to sit on in your car for the ride home!

Have fun!!

LOL. That is hysterical.

To answer one person, it is to celebrate those who have disabilities. We are joining a Team who has a son at our church who is a delight to all of us, but he has special challenges. It is not so much about us as runners as about awareness for, and raising money for them. We are buying TEAM t-shirts, and it should be a fun family day, whether or not you are in it for the novelty, to be fit, or to show support.
  • JoanB5
    Options
    Definitely do the bandana around your mouth. I had blue spit for awhile afterward. If you have a large white poodle, make sure to take them, too. Multi-color dogs are awesome :). I had a blast at mine! Just make sure that you have towels in your car to sit on. You don't want to forget and have pink on your butt at work the next day! I'm fair skinned with blonde hair and everything washed out just fine. I was actually disappointed that my shirt didn't stain :(.

Also, don't be surprised if you see people rolling around in the color. They are not having a seizure or a heart-attack, but just trying to get as messy as possible.

Enjoy your run! It was a great experience for me. It was so nice to see a race where time didn't matter and everyone was out just for the heck of it. Some people pushed baby strollers, some pushed others in wheelchairs. It was very motivating and inspirational !!

LOL I'm glad you told me...I'd be worried about people rolling around! Thanks for posting!
  • JoanB5
    Options
    Well, two days away! And it looks like a "wintry mix" is in the forecast for it. Starting temp is about 35, ending, about 45. I'm nervous about the weather...sounds like it will be horrid for a run/walk. I've had laryngitis off an on all week already. We'll see if we pull this off or not!