Should you count carbs from fruit?

BrandyHuff
BrandyHuff Posts: 28
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am just wondering if you should count carbs from fruit. I am eating a good bit of fruit and I tend to go over on my carbs on some days because of this.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    1 carb = 4 calories, so yes you should count all macro nutrients (carbs, Fat, and Protein)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I watch them but I don't make a big deal if I go over... I just try to LIMIT my white carbs so as not to have those in my diet... same with sugar... I just try to stay away from the big artificial sugars & don't really care if I go over on sugar if it's all from fruit.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Ok - look at the big picture- are oyu going over by 100's and 100's of poitns or by a minimal number. When I started i focused on carbc, and protein, and ...OMG - I was going nuts micro managing every little detail. It was suggested to keep oyur calories and exercise in check. The program works! You will be amazed at what you use to eat, and how quickly the calories added up.
    You hav efound MFP - be proud of yourself. hang in there - take advice with a grain of salt...be healthy .
    LBS did not go on overnight ...so....catch my drift? Be realistic!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    I eat very little fruit because of the sugar. I avoid juice completely. But fruit is full of fiber, so I still eat about 1 small serving a day together with some protein. This is the way I was told to eat when I was pregnant with gestational diabetes and again after being diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" (insulin resistant): never eat more than 1 serving of fruit at any one meal/snack and always combine with a protein, such as cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, etc.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    If you have blood sugar issues, you need to be careful. Otherwise, if most of your carbs are from fruit/veggies/milk and whole grains, you probably don't need to worry too much about it. If you find that you are not losing consistantly, then you may want to cut back a serving or so. Or replace higher sugar fruits with lower sugar - i.e. strawberries or blueberries instead of grapes.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    I eat very little fruit because of the sugar. I avoid juice completely. But fruit is full of fiber, so I still eat about 1 small serving a day together with some protein. This is the way I was told to eat when I was pregnant with gestational diabetes and again after being diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" (insulin resistant): never eat more than 1 serving of fruit at any one meal/snack and always combine with a protein, such as cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, etc.

I am the same way, except I was told by my Registered Dietician about the having protein with fruit thing and I wasn't pregnant with gestational diabetes, but I do have insulin resistance.
This discussion has been closed.