Hamburger Helper

Options
This may be a dumb question but............

Does the nutrtion information include the milk and ground beef?

If so, how do you tweek it if you use skim milk and/or lean ground beef or ground turkey?

Replies

• kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This may be a dumb question but............

Does the nutrtion information include the milk and ground beef?

If so, how do you tweek it if you use skim milk and/or lean ground beef or ground turkey?

Girl I was thinking about Hamburger Helper the other day. LOL! But I haven't eaten it in so long. It has "as pckgd" and "prepared" nutrition stats. According to the directions if it says add ground beef and milk then that is included in the calorie count for "As Prepared." Look on the directions as to what they say to add. I worked at Kraft during my internship while in college. So there you have it!
  • mysswhit
    mysswhit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Just had to be sure LOL!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You should have 2 columns of info (on the box) ...... dry as packaged and then as prepared.

Now ..... the next question should be ....... is "as prepared" .... using whole milk / using 80% lean beef ..... or what?

I would plug in .... dry mix, then add my beef (I use sirloin or chuck lower in fat) and 1% milk.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Some products, such as the Kraft mac and cheese, have a panel with instructions for a "lighter" version (skim milk, less butter) and provides the nutrition info. for that. Not sure if any Hamburger Helper products do (that was about the ONLY thing my mom served me as a child, so I've been avoiding it, lol).
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options

We have a large household and Hamburger Helper is on the menu several times a month (much to my disappointment!) since we're cooking for quite a few people we do two boxes, 1% milk and one pound 7-10% fat ground beef (which is half the recommended amount). Now, only if Betty Crocker would cut the sodium...
  • mysswhit
    mysswhit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!