Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Slimming Thighs (Pear Shape)

I'm pear shaped so naturally I have huge freaking thighs. I hate it.

I'm really frightened that continuing with my favorite exercise (hiking and walking and just kicking my legs in general), as well as squats and lunges everyone says to do, will just make my thighs even bulkier. Even if it's muscle and not fat, that is absolutely, positively not what I want.

Sooo...
1. Is that fear unreasonable?
2. Got any thigh-slimming exercises for me to try? (Preferably ones that don't involve going to the gym.)

Replies

• Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Hi! Dunno what your thoughts on running are but I have noticed that my thighs have slimmed down quite a bit sence I started running. They are usually where I hold most of my weight. Most runners that I see are pretty lean...
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I have lost 5 inches off my hips and thighs just by walking, recumbant bike, weight watchers exercise DVD and losing 24 pounds!
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    I have big thighs as well. Mine are slower to get smaller but lunges and squats have helped tremendously with toning them. Brazil Butt Lift has been amazing for my legs. They haven't gotten bigger. Walking helps a lot. You just have to be patient and consistent with working out. If you lose weight, some of it will eventually come off your thighs but your thighs might lose the slowest. I have a lot of fat on my thighs so building muscle is great. Less jiggle and more nice looking thigh.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I'm pear shaped so naturally I have huge freaking thighs. I hate it.

I'm really frightened that continuing with my favorite exercise (hiking and walking and just kicking my legs in general), as well as squats and lunges everyone says to do, will just make my thighs even bulkier. Even if it's muscle and not fat, that is absolutely, positively not what I want.

Sooo...
    1. Is that fear unreasonable?
    2. Got any thigh-slimming exercises for me to try? (Preferably ones that don't involve going to the gym.)

1. Yes, it's unreasonable.
    2. Any exercise that helps you lose body fat.

Seriously. You might *think* your thighs are getting bigger because as you lose weight, you will probably lose more everywhere else first. However, I would encourage you to take measurements - because what you think will be wrong.

Even if you have muscular legs, if you have weight to lose, that means you have fat on your legs. You will lose that fat eventually. Just stick with it and keep going. Lose weight = get smaller legs.

Squats and lunges (especially with weights....as heavy as you can for 5-8 reps, preferrably) will help you get smaller legs, faster. But any exercise will make your legs smaller because exercise helps you lose weight.
  • Anything that you do for your thighs that doesn't involve weights (ie. all the machines at the gym meant for your legs/thighs) is going to help tone and lengthen your legs. Running, Walking, Squats, Lunges, etc all use your own body weight as resistance. When you do these things you're not adding "extra bulk", you're melting fat and toning the existing muscles, therefore you get longer and leaner legs/tighs.
  • LoraF83
    Anything that you do for your thighs that doesn't involve weights (ie. all the machines at the gym meant for your legs/thighs) is going to help tone and lengthen your legs. Running, Walking, Squats, Lunges, etc all use your own body weight as resistance. When you do these things you're not adding "extra bulk", you're melting fat and toning the existing muscles, therefore you get longer and leaner legs/tighs.

Sorry, but I need to correct some misinformation here:

First, it's hard to actually put on muscle. You have to eat at a surplus, train really hard, get enough protein. And because we lack a lot of testosterone, it's even harder for women than it is for men. So, no one should be scared of using the weight machines. You won't get "bulky" from strength training. You have to actually try very hard to get bulky. Aside from a few (like 1-2) pounds of newbie gains, extra muscle won't show up from using the machines (or free weights).

Second, muscle and fat weigh the same....a pound is a pound....but muscle is more dense than fat, so 1lb of muscle takes up less space than fat. So, you would obviously want more of your body weight to be muscle than fat right? You'd be smaller, even if you weight the same amount. This is called reducing your body fat percentage. It's a good thing.

Third, muscle burns more calories than fat. So, the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns. Once again, you want more muscle than fat - a reduced body fat percentage. Your body fat percentage is what determines how you look. This why someone can be thin but flabby....they have high body fat. However low you take your body fat percentage will determine how "bulky", "ripped" or "muscular" you look. Once again, these things don't happen by accident. You have to work hard to get there. You'll notice before it happens :)

Weights - preferrably heavy ones - help you get to your goal faster. Body weight exercises are good. Especially if you are doing a program that increase your "work" as it progresses. Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, and the programs on the Nerd Fitness website all come to mind. Weight machines are better. You can increase the weight you are lifting, making yourself stronger and making your muscles work harder....which means you are burning fat/losing weight. This is good. Free weights are even better because you get all the benefits of machines plus the fact that your whole body is working (to balance, stabilize and lift the weights) which leads to better full body results.

So, don't be afraid of the weights. They will only make you smaller and fitter, unless you specifically TRY to get bigger.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Anything that you do for your thighs that doesn't involve weights (ie. all the machines at the gym meant for your legs/thighs) is going to help tone and lengthen your legs. Running, Walking, Squats, Lunges, etc all use your own body weight as resistance. When you do these things you're not adding "extra bulk", you're melting fat and toning the existing muscles, therefore you get longer and leaner legs/tighs.

i disagree with this entirely - no such thing as spot reducing/toning

but to each their own
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Im pear shaped as well, Im almost to my goal weight and just need to tone my legs. I love POP Pilaties and long distance/low resistance on my bike. Seems to be slimming and not bilking for me :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member

I question the ability to "lengthen" ones legs. Doesn't that have to do with bone structure over muscle? Would someone please explain that concept?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member

I question the ability to "lengthen" ones legs. Doesn't that have to do with bone structure over muscle? Would someone please explain that concept?

I think the idea is that one's legs will LOOK longer because they'll be leaner. You can't add inches onto your bone without breaking it and resetting first.
  • LoraF83

You can't lengthen muscle.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Jumping sumo squats will burn those inner thighs like a motha trucka
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

I think the idea is that one's legs will LOOK longer because they'll be leaner. You can't add inches onto your bone without breaking it and resetting first.

I'm crushed now. I was hoping for longer legs.

I also have bigger legs, always have, I have seen the most improvement from lifting heavy - squats, leg press, lunges, etc after years of just running ( I still run though). Before and after in my profile.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member

In order to lengthen the legs the epiphyseal plates (made of hyaline cartillage )must be "open" then chrondrocytes must undergo mitosis, older cells are pushed away to the diaphysis ( middle part of bone ) then new cells group on the epiphysis with these in place oestoblasts ossify then there is new bone ( longer bone overall).
  • Hi! Dunno what your thoughts on running are but I have noticed that my thighs have slimmed down quite a bit sence I started running. They are usually where I hold most of my weight. Most runners that I see are pretty lean...

lean =/= small thighs.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Something I read about health. Women with pear shapes tend to have a small waist, so less fat putting pressure on vital organs, even if they have larger legs. So don't go mad on the dieting. I am an apple shape, skinny but carry it arround the middle, so I need to watch my waist. So don't stress, but doing strength work will make your legs and butt look hotter evsn if they aren't skinny. Embrace your shape, some people would love a butt :wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...I have a lot of fat on my thighs so building muscle is great. Less jiggle and more nice looking thigh.

I'd rather have firm, well defined large thighs than flabby, jiggly large thighs. Just keep up with your exercises. You might be surprised by the results. A healthy, fit body makes any shape look good.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Even if you have muscular legs, if you have weight to lose, that means you have fat on your legs. You will lose that fat eventually. Just stick with it and keep going. Lose weight = get smaller legs.

Squats and lunges (especially with weights....as heavy as you can for 5-8 reps, preferrably) will help you get smaller legs, faster. But any exercise will make your legs smaller because exercise helps you lose weight.
    Thanks so much for the info! Not just to you but everyone. Glad to know squats and lunges won't make it all worse. Haha. I worry too much.

I already knew losing weight is the only real answer but I just somehow never see pear shapes break out of pear shapes, whereas I tend to see other shapes (especially apples) actually shift shape when they lose and tone up. So I was curious what might be out there to give it a boost, especially since thunder-thighs are just... inconvenient for me in a lot of ways. :x
    Embrace your shape, some people would love a butt :wink:
    On the subject of inconvenient, I am an androgyne trying to lose the femme-hips to a bit more of an intense extent than perhaps most cisgendered women. So no, I have a few issues that really prevent me from just 'embracing' it like so many people keep telling me. Even if I know that is problematically unrealistic. But hey, the more I shoot for, the more I can accomplish, I suppose! But that's all extraneous info no one cares about.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    It won't.. but if you don't lose the fat, it will appear bulky at first.

I would suggest going for runs outdoors or on a treadmill.. that slims up the legs fast. But be sure to eat healthy and continue with your squats and whatever else you mentioned you do.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,071 Member

Ballet barre exercises. You won't lengthen the bone, but the muscles will look longer because of the specific movements ballet dancers perform. Lifting weights and running cause the muscles to contract and tighten. Ballet stretches and elongates the muscle with specific exercises. Do plies in first and second position in very slow and controlled motion/speed. Google it for some examples.

edit spelling.