Do you use a monitor that tracks calories burned?

Options
I would like to be more precise on how many calories I burn during workouts and walks. thinking a monitor of some type will be helpful - something simple and inexpensive. Any preferences or suggestions on what to look for? what brand? ...

Replies

• snowflakeheather
    snowflakeheather Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. I read a lot of discussions on MFP before purchasing it, and if you want accuracy, it's the way to go. I was disappointed that it showed less calories burned on several exercises than what MFP did, but I'd rather know and be accurate. It's super easy to wear and use. I've heard a lot of people get theirs from amazon.com in the US (I'm in Canada and it isn't nearly as cheap here!). I sure don't regret spending the money on it though!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Polar FT4 - inexpensive, easy to use, accurate.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you want something that measures all day I feel my BodymediaFit LINK is pretty accurate. I use a phone app (Runtastic) and wear my BMF while walking and calories burned are very close--within 10-20 over a week long test.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I use the PT7. Excellent tool. best buy exercise tool wise ever.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 here..... Love it.... Best of Luck
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you want something that measures all day I feel my BodymediaFit LINK is pretty accurate. I use a phone app (Runtastic) and wear my BMF while walking and calories burned are very close--within 10-20 over a week long test.

I use the BMF link armband too... I use the app on my phone to get live updates on what I'm doing at that moment and for the entire day. It also monitors your sleep and you can link it into your MFP food diary. I use it every day. I absolutely love it!
  • mad923
    mad923 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been lovin' my BodyMediaFit Link since November.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    Always Polar FT 4.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit!

It's not a HRM, so it has no chest strap. It's about the size of a grasshopper and attaches to my bra. I get little badges for climbing stairs, traveling a certain distance, or taking a certain number of steps. The calories burned are no more or less accurate than I saw with a HRM, but ZOMGNOCHESTSTRAPYAY!

I also love that it syncs wirelessly with MFP, so I never have to enter my exercise. I can, if I want to, but it will send my calories burned whether I do or not. That means more time playing around in the forums! :-D
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 also. Works great, no complaints. It wasnt super expensive eitherr.
  • banteringblonde
    banteringblonde Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started using Bodymedia Core today - I love it already. Amazing how far off I was guessing at things on my own!
  • marialexx
    marialexx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and I really like it. It actually shows I have burned many more calories than those calculated by the work-out machines :) It takes into account your age, weight, and so on.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    HRM are only useful for exercise that really gets the heart rate up so probably no good for walking. BMF is for all day use. Lots of people use Fitbit for general activity and HRM for cardio exercise. .
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    HRM are only useful for exercise that really gets the heart rate up so probably no good for walking. BMF is for all day use. Lots of people use Fitbit for general activity and HRM for cardio exercise. .
    ummm you can get your heart rate up with walking. try walking uphill at a pace that's just below jogging speed ....

anywho, OP i have a polar ft60 and i love it
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Link as well and absolutely love it. I also have the Polar FT4 and I've worn both for quite a few workouts just to compare and the burn is very accurate with the Bodymedia to what the Polar says as well. I just prefer the Bodymedia because I love watching the data all day.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. Affordable, gives you heart rate & calories burned. Comes with usb attachment to sinc with Polar web.

AWESOME gadget... would not be without it! :)
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've got a Ki-Fit [Bodymedia] armband like they wear on the Biggest Loser

It monitors absolutely EVERY calorie I burn from the minute I get up to when i go to bed and even works when I am sleeping [as long as I wear it]

Bit weird going to bed in just your armband though.....I know...TMI !

:laugh:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    The downside of the Polar FT4 is you can't key in your own max heart rate so it works on an average. The FT40, though more expensive is more accurate to your own personal settings.
  • sharptail
    sharptail Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7. I think you need to subtract the calories you would normally burn while not exercising from what the monitor says. For example, if it says I burned 450 calories in an hour, I count 330 because it would have said 120 if I was just sitting in a chair. That said, I strongly recommend using a heart rate monitor.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 and love that little thing.

That said I've been looking at a BMF link. For those of you with a link, are any of you using it with an Iphone 5? I can't find anything that definatively says the new phone is supported. Thanks!